Tuesday 13 March 2018

Tuesday 13/03/2018 - Acorn Cost Cutter - Paddocks


With the Grandchildren off on school camp I decided to try Acorn especially as they have stocked some good Roach and Skimmers. I haven’t fished here for 9 months so wasn’t sure on the best approach. The information was the Silvers were around peg 9 to 19 where they were initially stocked.

Into the draw bag and out come ping pong 5. This is the peg I fished my first match and had a good day catching Carp. Unfortunately I was told the focus is still on Carp. Oh well.

Set up two rigs a 4x10 for over where I found a flat shelf in 30 inches of water, which only needed just over 11.5 metres. I planned to fish 4mm expander over hard 4’s. The other rig was a 4x 12 to fish top-set plus two for Silvers using single red over loose fed maggot. The wind was nipply over my right shoulder so initially fancied it over whilst feeding up the Silvers line.

Started over feeding hard 4’s through the kinder pot and with 4mm expander on the hook I started catching small Carp – 8oz to 1 lb size. Happy with this as I was catching them regularly whist everyone appeared to be struggling. I added two decent Skimmers on this line and lost a big Carp which went behind the keep nets so a top-set shuffle followed unfortunately I did recover the rig less the Carp – bugger, sneaky bastard. The wind started to veer blowing more to my left which had the effect of moving the fish with it. I then struggled. As it happened I stayed far to long over, not going over the Silver line until the last hour where I started to catch decent Ronnie’s regularly until the end.

My small Carp weighed 12lb 7oz and my Silvers 11lb 2oz for a total of 23lb 9oz. The match was very close with the one lost Carp costing me third overall. However, had I fished for Silvers all match I might well have framed in the Silvers. Making the right decisions isn’t always possible, left a few things to ponder on.

The match was won by Martin McMahon (pictured right) with 41lb 12oz from unfancied peg 27. Martin caught all his fish over to the point of the Island using maggot over maggot fishing two foot deep in 3 foot of water at 13 metres. Martin Loose fed about one and half pints of maggots throughout.

The Silvers was won by Silvers regular John Barker (pictured right with his catch) with 22lb 9oz from peg 14. John caught on maggot over maggot by switching around his peg.

It was another enjoyable match. But nearly hit a gaggle of Geese roaming in the road coming home!

Result:

  1. Martin McMahon 41-12-0 peg 27
  2. Ray Bazeley 39-10-0 peg 16
  3. Mike Owens 28-05-0 peg 19
Silvers:

  1. John Barker 22-09-0 peg 14
  2. Dave Wride 20-13-0 peg 1
  3. Martin McMahon 17-14-0 peg 27
Weigh Sheets:



















No comments: