Friday 30 March 2018

Thursday 29/03/2018 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's and Disabled - Withy Pool


It's been very long winter and I have enough now!

With a 09:30 draw Geoff and I had plenty of choices for breakfast choosing the Hanham Wetherspoons. The food was a bit warmer than usual.

It was back on Withy Pool for the first of this years Coffin Dodgers. The pool hasn’t been fishing nowhere near like it use to and has been a disappointment so far. We are hoping things will improve with the weather.

In to the draw bag and out comes counter peg 40. Umm, plenty of room though. Last match only two Roach came from it! This peg is in a corner so with pegs 41 and 42 not in it was a question of fishing 90 degrees to them as pictured right. No company today as the next angler was too far for any sensible conversation.

My only hope of coin from this peg was to snare a Carp. So set up a margin rig for the RH side in 3 foot of water. The waggler a nine inch bodied Drake. For the Silvers a 4x16 and the Ronnie rig.

After setting up I thought I would find where Geoff had drawn. I was beginning to think he had gone home when I found him hidden away behind the island on peg lonely 54.

I fed the margin with micro and corn. The Silver line with GB laced with some maggot at top-set plus three and fed casters on the Ronnie line. The upshot was I caught a few small Ronnie’s, Skimmers and a Perch before the GB line died and could not be revived with topping-up. This coincided with a horrendous down pour of ice cold rain. So tried the Ronnie rig for a few minutes but knew this wasn’t going to happen. So the rig was retired, feeding casters in the margin over the top of the corn. Last chance of Silvers was the Waggler. With maggot over maggot I caught a few more Ronnie’s, but it was slow. I then hooked a bloody big Common Carp which I played for an age – well 15 minutes. Unusually it ran three times to a tree along my end bank. I was expecting my 0.14 hook length to break, but it held fast. The third time I got it under control ready for netting the hook pulled – bugger my chance of coin gone. Always looking for reasoning – did I play it too long aware how important the fish was? Decision was then made to fish the margin for another Carp where I had one bite which I missed on double caster.

My few Ronnie’s weighed 3lb 10oz. With so many DNW’s it wasn’t that bad a weight from this peg – and had my chances.

The match was won by Harry Muir (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with two Carp for 27lb 11oz from peg 74. Harry caught on the lead with banded pellet on the hook, fished over loose fed pellet. Both fish come from near the corner aerator.

The Silvers was won by Tony Rixon with 13lb 12oz from peg 59. Tony caught…se his blog for details.

Full Result:

  1. Harry Muir 27-11-0 peg 74
  2. John Smith 18-15-0 peg 49
  3. Paul Barnfield 13-15-0 peg 43
Top Silvers:

  1. Tony Rixon 13-12-0 peg 59
  2. John Smith 10-15-0 peg 49
  3. Steve Dawson 9-0-0 peg 44
Weigh Sheets:

















No comments: