Sunday 28 January 2018

Sunday 28/01/2018 - Windmill Sweep - Carp Lake

There were five of us in the car park debating where to fish. The Match Lake didn’t look that appetizing due to the wind with only three or four pegs with any shelter. We had a look at the Carp Lake where we found enough pegs out of the wind. After a vote 3 to 2 the Carp Lake it was. Terry kindly reduced the peg fee to £5 for us.

None of us knew what to expect due to Terry adding some Silvers recently. In to the hat and out comes Peg 22. A reasonable walk hindered by the heavy mud. Two of us on this part me and Paul Elmes who really struggled to get his trolley to his peg. I was nearly set-up by time he got there.

I set up the one 4x12 rig to fish in four foot of water at top-set plus two, where I decided to fish maggot over kindered maggot and micro. It wasn’t long before I was playing a 1lb Carp. I had a good couple of hours but found that it was catch two followed by a longish wait. I did have my first Silver fish on this lake, a Rudd and two small Hybrids. The swim gradually petered out. It wasn’t until the last twenty minutes that I started to fish on the drop that I started to catch again – bugger, some more hindsight for the ever decreasing memory box.

I weighed 23lb 12oz for a nice days fishing - all the fish being in excellent condition. I really enjoyed today especially the mild weather. I think this lake will become more popular in time.

The match was a tight affair with just a couple of fish separating everyone. With Shaun Townsend (pictured right with Paul Elmes seen over his right shoulder still struggling back with his kit) coming out on top with 28lb15oz from peg 14. Shaun also double bubbled with a Silvers weight of 1lb 6oz. Shaun fished at 16 metres using the same tactics me.

Full Result:

  1. Shaun Townsend 28-15-0 peg 14
  2. John Osborne 24-12-0 peg 13
  3. Mike Nicholls 23-12-0 peg 22
Silvers:

  1. Shaun Townsend 1-06-0 peg 14
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: