Saturday 30 December 2017

Friday 29/12/2017 - Hillview Fishery - Philtone Christmas Match - Canals 2,3 And 4

Bela and I were invited to fish the Philtone Christmas match at Hillview on Canals 2, 3 and 4. Both the breakfast and peg fees kindly paid for by Philtone Boss Neil Mercer. Big thank you to him.

I paid a visit to Huggy’s on site tackle shop, must say it’s been exceptionally well stocked since my last visit (pictured right).

Eighteen fishing split into teams of six by some mystical means. I found myself in Paul Elms team. Two anglers from each team placed on one of the three Canals. The Captain’s drew for first peg then the rest of the team was allocated their pegs. I was hoping for Canal Two, but found myself on 81 which was end but one on the Third Canal. Around this time last year there were blanks on these end pegs, whereas peg 70 on the opposite end had 70lb, so not that enthusiastic. Got to the peg and my optimism grew as there was some colour to the water plus the wind was blowing down the Canal and a small Carp had a wave at me. Opposite me was Anglings answer to Charlie Chaplin – matey Dave Lewis – who had to look at me all day (Dave’s view pictured right). Behind me on flyer peg 56 was Trigger whose bag-in-a-bag-in-a-bag kept blowing into my peg.

My set-up today consisted of just two rigs 4x10 for over which was easily reached with 10.25 metres and a 4x12 for top-set plus two – simple. Started over and chose not to fish the prescribed bread but instead even more visible bait – triple Fluro Pinkie. First put in over a few Pinkies I foul hooked an F1 which didn’t quite reach the landing net. Some fish about then. Next put in another fouler but this time a 10lb Common which did get landed – a good start. I then had a run of five smaller Carp and one F1. Not long after we started the wind slowly increased and swung round 90 degrees. The long line died but I preserved with it far too long as once I retreated to the short line with again triple fluro Pinkie where I had been scattering live red maggots all over the place (not by desire but where the wind dictated) I started to catch well, small Carp and the odd F1. The wind was a problem as I only seem to catch once the water went flat calm, but as the bites were hard to see I might have missed some due to the wind picking the float up – who knows for sure.

I finished the match with 45lb 14oz which was top weight on my Canal, which was a bit of a surprise.

“Some say his eyelids are elastic and that he once shaved his legs as a right of passage into the Boy Scouts. All I know it’s the Trig again”.

Trigger won the match from peg 56 (pictured right) with 72lb. Trig spent the first half the match fishing punched bread over and the second half fishing down the track with maggot over maggot.

The “Triggers” won the team match with 225lb 8oz (The team pictured below).


A really good day's fishing with a really nice bunch of quality anglers.

Full Result:

  1. Craig Edmonds 72-0-0 peg 56
  2. Martin Rayet 63-08-0 peg 58
  3. Bela Bakos 53-0-0 peg 95
  4. Mike Nicholls 45-14-0 peg 81
  5. Joe McMahon 40-08-0 peg 60
  6. Dave Haines 38-08-0 peg 62
Teams:

  1. The Triggers – 225lb 8oz
  2. The Towners – 168lb 4oz
  3. The Beavers – 149lb 12oz
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: