Thursday 23 November 2017

Thursday 23/11/2017 - Harescombe Cost Cutter - Match Lake

I was hoping that the fishing at Hunstrete would have improved, but going by last weeks match where they had nine DNW’s I thought I would go back to Harescombe. Forecast was for no Rain but windy. Got it wrong again we had showers on and off all day with the wind not being able to make its mind up, and was to come from every point of the compass!

Rumour has it that Fishing Republic is in financial trouble, time to look at bargains on their website.

I was hoping to draw on the near side for once. In to the draw bag and out comes peg 18 again, twice now in three visits. However, good company with Rob Roy on peg 20. Andy Price said a lot of rain had gone in overnight which Roy and I thought would seriously impact the weights today. That said it would still be a close match.

I set up the usual and started short on the top-set with maggot over loose fed maggot. However the wind was swirling in from all directions which meant switching around left to right, not good. With only a few Gudgeon and tiny Perch in the net I abandoned this line, switching instead to the top-set plus one where I stayed for the rest of the match. It was fishing hard. I knew if I went over to the piles I would catch better (or foul hook) more fish. I nearly set it up at half way through but with the hip still playing up and the wind picking up I stayed where I was. I then thought I had the feeding right catching a few Skimmers and four F1’s for it only to die for many minutes. I hooked a 2lb Barbel which after a fair tussle it went in behind my keep nets losing the hook hold. Fair play to it I say, it certainly fooled me. The only other fish I lost was a 1lb Skimmer, which flew off the hook. With 45 minutes to go I was expecting a good run on the F1’s, but the Lake went dead calm and temperature fell so subsequently other than a few tiny Skimmers the float sat dormant.

I weighed 12lb 4oz for a surprising second overall. It was another enjoyable but hard day at this fishery. It fishes different every time I come.

The match was won by Rich Powell (pictured right with the runner up, both being photo bombed by Rodney Trotters Granddad) with 14lb 14oz from peg 14. Rich caught most of his fish over to the piles on red maggot over red maggot. His catch was mostly made up of Barbel, only putting two Carp on the scales. Well done Rich nice to watch.

Full Result:

  1. Rich Powell 15-14-0 peg 14
  2. Mike Nicholls 12-04-0 peg 18
  3. Gordy Hemms 9-12-0 peg 6
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: