Thursday 16 November 2017

Thursday 16/11/2017 - Harescombe Cost Cutter - Match Lake

I have been pondering Harescombe for a week now and dreamt up a few idea’s so needed to go back and try them out. It’s all about feeding and presentation. Isn’t it?

I was lucky I had breakfast at home and was well digested before clearing a swim with Tim – of Sheep (pictured right)! Andy Price said it was a small Lamb it must have weighed 80lb!! I got home only to find I had a Roast Lamb dinner waiting!

Into the draw bag and out comes peg 21, vanquished to the far side again. Still with all the sheep removed I had plenty of room. I still got aching hips from fishing 13 metres last match so all these tubes stayed in the bag, Top-set plus two all day then. The only bait on the tray today was red and fluoro maggot, the fluoro being one of today new additions. Two rigs a 4x10 for the margin and a 4x12 winter shotted upside down (more weight at the top with a logarithmic pattern down the line) the other new addition. The last addition today was GB, no more on this as I couldn’t get it to work.

Knowing it was going to be a tight match the plan was to catch anything that swam irrespective of size early then later focus on the F1’s. So with fluro hook bait over reds on the 4x10 I caught small Ronnie’s plus two surprise F1’s. I stayed on this for most of the match, whilst feeding the top-set plus one line with either the kinder or loose fed reds. I caught some decent Roach to 1lb and four 1lb Skimmers. The wind had been blowing to my left up to the end where fish had been topping. Then with an hour to go the wind picked up and switched to blowing to my right, which herald time to switch to the F1’s and I caught fish up to 3lb until the all out.

I weighed 30lb 13oz for first overall – just. A great fishery. Andy Price is running some silver match after Christmas on the other two Lakes which are stuffed with big Roach.

Runner up was Tim Hadlan (pictured right with the match winner) with 29lb from peg 5 Tim caught on the maggot feeder over to the piles with maggot hook bait.

Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 30-12-0 peg 21
  2. Tim Hadlan 29-0-0 peg 5
  3. Roy Liddell 23-04-0 peg 8
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: