Friday 13 October 2017

Thursday 13/10/2017 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's - Bridge Pool

I had a walk around Withy Pool to see if the bridge had been installed. The picture right is looking at what was peg 46; the peg in the picture is peg 47. Bridge work in progress.

It was nice to see two new anglers today.

I selected the pegs today and with 21 fishing the last peg is always difficult to select, so decided on peg 27.

I like to be first into the draw bag but unfortunately I got left holding the draw bag and when I drew there was only three left and I pulled peg 27!! It is a great peg but you are pole fencing with peg 26 which can be OK if one of the anglers is left handed. I soon found my fencing partner – Mike Keys which was nice to see him back fishing these matches again, but both right handers and I must say Mike is a super guy to fish with, but blimey he is untidy with tackle strewn everywhere. Mike was using a 15 foot Drennan Waggler rod which apparently there was only four made, very handy for the river I thought.

Peg 27 doesn’t suit my style because it has a strange topography it is shallow out to 4 metres then drops off suddenly, which if there had been some colour in the water might had been OK for the Ronnie rig, which I set up in case. My main attack was a 4x16 in 7 foot of water at initially top-set plus three then later to add one or two sections.

I fed the Ronnie line with GB and DR’s and the long line with micro and 4mm expanders where I started with 4mm expander on the hook. I had an amazing start and in the first hour put 10 lb in the net which included a Carp the turned into a very welcome Tench whilst everyone else appeared to be struggling. I then hooked a Carp which took an age to break me and no doubt causing some disruption to the Silvers in the process. My struggle then started not adding another Silver fish for three hours, I did have four more Carp, however, as I never pleasure fish this dwell did give me an opportunity to try something’s out I have had on my mind. I then realised I could fish left handed and changed  the pole roller around and was able to put on two more sections without it hanging over Mike’s swim. In the final twenty minutes I had three big Skimmers.

The Ronnie rig produced one tiny fish.

I weighed 16lb 12oz for third overall. Wasn’t happy with the result as the peg was worth more than this but have learnt some more about the fishery.

The match was won by Dave Wride (pictured right with the runner-up) with 18lb 9oz from peg 28. Dave fished his favourite pellet over pellet. His feed was potted and a few pinged over the top.

It was back to the pub with the usual suspects. Busy weekend for me - Saturday "all Winners Silvers final" Sunday Silvers league both at the fabulous Viaduct Fishery.

Full Result:

  1. Dave Wide 18-09-0 peg 28
  2. Paul Barnfield 18-0-0 peg 6
  3. Mike Nicholls 16-12-0 peg 27
  4. John Smith 10-11-0 peg 24
  5. Mike Keys 8-08-0 peg 26
  6. Steve Dawson 8-07-0 peg 21
Weigh Sheets:




No comments: