Monday 30 October 2017

Sunday 29/10/2017 - Viaduct Silvers League - Round Three - Campbell, Carey and Lodge Lakes

Bit of road rage this morning from Bela. Some kids in their 1000 cc lawn mover tail gating him. We caught up with them at the traffic lights in Shepton Mallet and when they saw Bela they did the sensible thing and drove off through the red lights. Canards breakfast wasn’t that good today. RIP the poor lad that got kill by hit and run driver this morning at Canards Well.

Hung back in the draw queue hoping for a peg on Carey and got my wish with peg 87. Happy with this as there are usually a few Ronnie’s to be caught; however, the water did look a tad clear. For company I had Nigel Bartlett on peg 88 and Geraint Powell on peg 86.

I set up a 4x16 to fish at 10 metres each side of the dark patch where the depth was near enough to need a tiny adjustment, a 4x10 for the RH margin I had cleared of a young Willow and others stuff, next the Ronnie rig and finally the GB feeder in case. I fed the two long lines one with neat GB and the other caster and DR’s, some casters were potted in the margin. I started on the Ronnie rig and caught reasonable well. Geraint was catching small Skimmers so I tested my Skimmers lines and also could catch small Skimmers (hope they grow on) but decided that the Ronnie’s could produce the same weight as I could catch them quicker so fed the Skimmers again and went back on the Ronnie’s. What is it with Carp and casters they definitely prefer them than pellet. The Ronnie’s wanted to feed but they were continually disrupted by Carp. Getting the feed rate right was very difficult. I think tt’s the sound of the casters hitting the water that initially attracts the Carp especially with no Carp slayers feeding pellet. So it was a question of catching a few Ronnie’s until they were backed off and switching to the tiny Skimmers. I did set up the 4 metre whip but after just a couple of fish I would hook a Carp which on a flick-tip can be fun! I think I was holding my own along the end bank until the last hour when the Carp pissed the Ronnie’s right off and Geraint had a great last hour adding about 15lb of decent Skimmers on expander over GB to his catch (pictured right). Another good young angler.

I weighed 17lb 9oz for section 4th. And for the tenth time this year being ounced out of some coin this time by 2oz! My fault this time because there was a few fish I should have netted but choose to nearly swing. Perhaps I should be more patient with the Skimmers.

 “Some say that his first name really is “The”, and that if he went on Celebrity Love Island they’d all be pregnant, including the camera men. All I know its  The Trig.”

Craig Edmonds won the match with 32lb 14oz from fancied peg 78. Trig caught small Skimmers on pole and some better Skimmers on the waggler on banded hard pellet.

Considering the conditions the venue fished well for Silvers with most anglers catching double figures.

Full Result:

  1. Craig Edmonds 32-14-0 peg 78
  2. Vince Brown 31-0-0 peg 77
  3. Stu White 30-09-0 peg 96
  4. Paul Faiers 30-06-0 peg 123
  5. Geraint Powell 29-02-0 peg 86
  6. Gary O’Shea 28-02-0 peg 56
Weigh Sheets:




































No comments: