Monday 16 October 2017

Sunday 15/10/2017 - Viaduct Silvers League - Round Two - Campbell, Carey and Lodge Lakes

After spending most of last night fitting new elastics and tying hook lengths I got up early to tie some rigs for today’s Silvers League. Bela and I had breakfast in Canards Well – not too bad.

Driving down Bela was worried he might have to sell his fishing tackle because it was rumoured that Dave Downton had beaten him in the Stafford Moor Autumn Festival. I can confirm that he in fact Bela did beat Dave Downton by 2 points – too close for comfort, got my name down for Bela’s pole in case he goes next year! "It is what it is"

After yesterday I just couldn’t face drawing peg 112 again so left it late to go in to the coffee tin. Phew peg 98 on Carey. But have often found myself beaten by the long pole 14/16 metres. I did bring my waggler rod but left it in the van as I thought it might lead to more Carp hooking – this might have been a mistake. For company I had Colin Dyer again on peg 99 who was still visibly shaken from yesterdays Carp carnage – as was I. On peg 97 was young Ricky Mills good angler in the making.

I spoke to Clint Wojtyle who had fished peg 99 the day before and said he did catch some Skimmers at 10 metres but caught most at 14.5. Peg 98 wasn’t in yesterday. Set up 10 metres of pole which was as long as I felt comfortable with for the Skimmers, but planned to start one section less. I set up a red tip 4x12 to fish long (not the same one as yesterday as I left it attached to a Carp) the Ronnie rig which was my banker if they fed and a 4x10 Speedy (again not the same one as yesterday). I fed two lines at 9 metres with GB and DR’s but started on the Ronnie’s rig with casters and caught a few, but seemed too slow. In the meantime Colin was catching Skimmers well. So I went out and found plenty of indications but it was from tiny 3oz Skimmers. I caught quickly but suddenly nothing, so would re-fed and go on the other line where it was more of the same. Was the sudden stop due to not enough feed or a Carp. Because they stopped so abruptly I put it down to Carp rather than feed. Meanwhile Colin had stopped catching, Ricky started catching similar size fish as me but now found some better Skimmers had moved in. John Fuidge on peg 96 had switched to the waggler with corn as was really catching the better Skimmer well – almost instant. I was tempted to and get my waggler but Colin was trying it without success. I now spent too much time chasing small Skimmers around the peg with four swims now operating at 9 and 10 metres instead of fishing to my strength with the Ronnie rig with an hour to go I did switch and caught really well some decent Roach, my biggest Skimmer and on the death a decent Hybrid. I did have to contest the swim with three Carp, they don’t say on long when hooked close in.

I weighed 18lb 11oz for a disappointing 4th in section. Two mistakes; should have set up the waggler and fished to my strengths with the Ronnie rig earlier I could have at least got another point and a default pick –up.

I felt foe matey Gordon Cannings who drew peg 112 which fished similar to yesterday, you just can't compete for Silvers on those pegs at the moment. 

The match was won by John Fuidge (pictured upper right with his catch of Skimmers) with 34lb 8oz from peg 96. It was a question of the right man on the right peg with the right method. John caught most of his big Skimmers on the waggler and corn. It was nice to see well done matey. However, you need to sort out your reel line.

It was nice to see peg 74 is now fishing well for both carp and Silvers.

After the match Bela purchased a pasty from Steve Long to eat on the drive home. Steve said Bela would have crumbs over him doing this. Little does Steve know that Bela is also known as Steven Seagull (not to be confused with Steven Segal). Bela started on the Pasty at the start of the Fisheries lane and had eaten it by half way down - no crumbs – three bites I think.

And finally I had to say a sad goodbye to my Nikon Camera which has unfortunately jammed on zoom. 


Full Result:

  1. John Fuidge 34-08-0 peg 96
  2. Ricky Mills 31-13-0 peg 97
  3. Martyn Rayet 30-03-0 peg 74
  4. Bob Gullick 28-01-0 peg 100
  5. Gabriel Skarba 25-07-0 peg 77
  6. Sam Powell 24-10-0 peg 110
Weigh Sheets:





































No comments: