Friday 1 September 2017

Thursday 31/08/2017 - Chris Ollis Knock-Up - Farleigh Woods.

I hadn’t had a decent breakfast for ten days so was eager to get to the CafĂ© in Bath with Geoff Francis. A great breakfast it was too, but left me very tired combined with travel lag and all I wanted to do was sleep. I didn’t have time to get to the tackle shop so went armed with expenders and paste. And as Chris Ollis had pegged the woods I was hoping to target the Carp with paste. With a few on holiday we were down to eight anglers so a day out with friends for a knock up. This venue can easily take 18 anglers so come on get down to this tranquil fishery and put the world to rights with owner John.

In to the draw hat and out came pegs 1 and 8 with 1 being the fancied peg but had to leave this one to Clive Glisson for his late arrival – so choose the wrong one. Got to the peg and I was set to be in the shade all day, which I was thankful for. On my right is a tree which was mostly under water out to five metres. The other side had an accessible margin so choose this side for the margin paste rig which I really expected to catch Carp from later. I also set up a pate rig to fish at 10 metres in six foot of water. Finally a 4x12 Winter for the Skimmers. I fed the margin with GB and the long paste line with soaked 4’s. I started at top-set plus two with 4mm expander over loose fed micro and caught small Skimmers from the off. I then hooked one of the tree roots which did break off leaving the bottom bubbling for 20 minutes during which I couldn’t catch so noticing fizzing over the long paste line so went over it with the paste and got frustrated as I couldn’t get any indication whatsoever. Back on the Skimmers which had returned until I hooked a small 2lb Carp which did its bets to disrupt the peg. I tried the long paste line again whilst keeping a hopeful eye on any activity in the margin. On the RH side the submerged tree branches were moving about with that catch me if you can wave. Even with the Drennan 25 bungee it would have been impossible to get them out that said I was tempted a few times but resisted. The upshot was I mugged a decent Carp on the Skimmer rig which as I expected broke me. Two foul hookers on the Skimmer rig which needed new hook lengths. Not one Carp obliged in the LH margin and probably had their fill long after we went. I should have fished for Silvers all day.

I weighed 9lb 6oz of Silvers and the one carp of 2lb 14oz for nowhere. It was back to the Globe Inn for a few Pinky Ponks and early to bed to end a perfect but tiring day.

The knock up was won by Clive Glisson (pictured upper right) with 59lb 10oz from peg 1. Clive caught on his usual method – method with pellet.

The Silvers was won by Dave Willmott (pictured right with a net of typical venue Silvers) with 32lb 8oz from peg 6. Dave used his magic caster and maggot approach fished at 7 metres.

The venue is more of a Silvers venue that Carp. If Dave Willmott can get enough interest he will run a Silvers league here, contact Dave if interested.

Result:

  1. Clive Glisson 59-10-0 peg 1
  2. Geoff Francis 42-11-0 peg 5
Silvers:

  1. Dave Willmott 32-08-0 peg 6
  2. Paul Barnfield 10-06-0 peg 7
Weight Sheet:

  

No comments: