Thursday 10 August 2017

Thursday 10/08/2017 - Harescombe Cost Cutter - Match lake

I was back to Harescombe for another taste of the “last of the summer wine”. Don’t get thinking these guys are pools fodder – their not. You really need to have a good memory it you don’t bother to write down names and their breakfast orders – Andrew you don’t, so get pen and paper!

Blimey every peg in today with 25 arrivees. I’m glad I booked in!! One more unannouncee and we would be in trouble.

After breakfast with the usual suspects where the discussion was that everyone wanted to be conerised, pegs 29, 24, 15, and 16. I wasn’t so bothered where I drew would be nice to sit wind and rain free for five hours for a whole match.

First into the draw bag and out comes peg 21, Happy with this as it’s on the far side where I could expect more colour in the water. I was sandwiched between Ray Bazeley who would no doubt be very methodical and venue virgin Steve Brooks. Good company then.

During breakfast Terry Girdlestone said some fish had been coming out on the paste so put that in the memory bank. I always have some paste to hand these days just in case. I had planned on the one hook bait – corn. So I initially set up a 4x12 winter to fish corn at top-set plus two and a 4x10 Yoof for margin stuff. Taking to Terry again before the all in he reminded me about the paste so I hurried back and set up a 0.3 Gram Barnett, plus a quick mix up of paste. I thought I would start on the paste for a look- see. Amazingly I had six quick F1’s whilst everyone else was struggling. I thought I was going to empty it. Alas not, soon after I struggled for the remainder of the match picking the odd fish off on with either corn or paste on various lines. It was a question of catch two then the swim would die if topped up with feed. I did hook a 4lb Mirror Carp which through some bad angling managed to pull the hook out trying to rush it, which was to cost me coin. Fishing is not a race! Everyone was struggling except the few that fish caster shallow. Luckily it was only a five hour match. What was noticeable was the absence of feeding Silver fish I usually get bitted out in the margins but not today catching only four Skimmers.

I weighed 31lb 8oz for a close eighth overall.

The match was won by Andy Pollard with 53lb from peg 14. Andy caught most of his fish long to the island on pellet. No picture as he left before I could get my car out of the far bank traffic jam. Runner up was another venue virgin Luke Burge (pictured right with his catch) with 52lb 4oz from peg 23. Luke caught on caster fished shallow mainly at top-set plus three.

Full Result:

  1. Andy Pollard 53-0-0 peg 14
  2. Luke Burge 52-04-0 peg 23
  3. Stuart Graham 40-0-0 peg 18
  4. Phil Auger 38-04-0 peg 4
  5. Mike Goodluck 33-12-0 peg24
  6. terry Girdlestone 32-04-0 peg 19
Weigh Sheet:




No comments: