Sunday 9 July 2017

Sunday 09/07/2107 - Windmill Fishery Open - Carp Lake

Monday I was informed that the Windmill Match would be on the Carp Lake instead of Match Lake because of a long standing booking. I spoke to Geoff Francis and both of us didn’t fancy much it. I tried booking into Ivy House to be told that it was fully booked. We cogitated and decided on Windmill Carp Lake but only after Shaun Townsend said he would make sure it would be pegged sensibly. It was mine and Geoff’s first time on the Lake.

First stop Kingswood Wetherspoons which by 08-10 didn’t look as if it was going to open anytime soon, so it was a dash down to Hanham Wetherspoons which was up and running by time we arrived. Another good breakfast, however, I was surprised Geoff Francis went for the traditional instead of his usual large – is he ill?

We arrived at the fishery in plenty of time to walk around with Shaun and Dave Haines whilst they discussed the pegging. I must admit I wasn’t impressed with the peg access and discussed with Geoff whether we should have a pleasure season on the Silvers Lake. We decided to give until the pub had the bigger attraction. Apparent there is no Silvers in the Carp Lake, which is a complete nonsense. Paul Elmes offered £500 to me if I caught a Ronnie, but it was someone else’s money. A duff offer me thinks.

Into the draw box and out comes peg 23. No emotion as I didn’t have a clue. I removed two pallets which were placed on top of one another which enabled me to get to some sound level ground. I aliened the kit above the peg and after scrabbling down I was able to lift it down – reminded me a bit of the river Avon at Fry’s. However, once I was settled it was perfect, no need of a pole roller.

Set up a 4x10 F1 Winter which I plumbed around and found it was more or less three foot from top-set to as far as the nose bleed would allow. I also set up the 0.3 Stu Barnett paste float which was sufficient to fish top set and at plus three sections on pole which was the other line I targeted. I noticed there were some big fish turning in the RH margin so thought I would start here.

After cupping in some micro at top-set plus three I started loose fed hard fours to my right on the top-set with the paste float. I had a small Carp first put in followed with another 10 before I spied Geoff Francis catching marginally better than me at top set plus three. So went on the longer line with the paste rig with another 2 inches added and basically didn’t look back. The upshot was I caught 70 small Carp and four Munters losing one which fairly won its escape. If I had a clicker it would probably say I had 50lb in each of my three keepnets.

First net of small Carp went just over 50lb, the four bigger Carp net (upper pictured right) weighed just less than 50lb and the final small Carp net weighed 50lb. The total as expected was just less than 150lb at 149lb 7oz. FYI I did see a small Ronnie top but didn’t think I would get £500 if I caught it.). This weight doubled the current Lake record - but won't last long!.

Runner up was matey Geoff Francis (pictured right with the match winner) with 100lb 12oz from peg 11. So double car bubble and back for a Pinky Ponky and another memorable day.

I had put up my Umbrella to shelter from me from the sun. Unfortunately the clasp that locks the brolly in place broke so after a struggle at the end of the match I finally managed to get it down. Arriving home I was hoping to get it in the waste bin and after 30 minutes of sawing, stamping, bending, cutting (remains pictured right) I had to give up, the bloody brolly was indestructible except for the plastic clasp. The Special One was amused watching this episode. Separate visit to the recycle centre me thinks!!

Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 149-07-0 peg 23
  2. Geoff Francis 100-12-0 peg 11
  3. Paul Elmes 95-04-0 peg 5
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: