Thursday 22 June 2017

Wednesday 22/06/2017 - Shaun Townsend evening "Just Turn Up" Evening Match - Windmill Fishery - Match Lake

Today was the hottest day for forty years so let’s get an evening match in. Fishery Manager Terry Smith true to his word handed out Cider and Larger before the match. Blazing hot and unusually the Lake was near flat calm.

There was the usual discussions on which pegs to put in, some wanted to leave out flyer peg 13 and put in 16 and 10? Shaun decided. Whatever, everyone wanted to be down the far end. It seems that during winter you want to be near end and summer the far end.

Into the draw box and out comes peg 26, good winter peg. Set up two paste rigs one out in front where there isn’t any form of margin as you are blocked in by Sedges and the bottom steeply runs away to full depth so you have to keep pulling up until the paste lodges. The other paste rig was for down the LH side past the sedges where there is a bit of a ledge, but first I had to do some gardening to I could see the float.

I started on the in front rig set to 4 foot and just got pestered by small Silvers. I did have one Skimmers and a decent Tench, but it as clear there were plenty of Ronnie’s around and not enough Carp to shoo them away. I kept feeding hard 4’s in the hope I would get some interest from the Carp. I didn’t. I had been feeding the LH side heavily with micro/hard 4’s mix, the same problem here with Ronnie’s. I kept feeding and switching until 20:30 when I put in out in front and the float sat still for 30 seconds and I was soon playing my first Carp. Down the LH side and again the float sat still and I had five Carp and lost three foulers before 21:15 when the Ronnie’s returned on both lines. However, the sun had gone behind some light clouds and the SW wind picked up blowing into me – First time I have been to windmill and was thankful for the wind. Sat fishless but comfortably cool untill all out at 21-45.

My few accidentals weighed 6lb 10oz and my six Carp 42lb for a total of 48lb 10oz for half way.

The match was as expected won from peg 13 by Paul Elmes pictured right with the accidental Silvers winner. Paul caught in his margins fishing meat over GB. Trigger caught his accidentals on pellet/meat over pellet.

It appears the Carp and the Silvers have had a divorce (a bit like those in the above picture), with Carp now resident at the bottom end and the Silvers at the top.

Full Result:

  1. Paul Elmes 144-12-0 peg 13
  2. Craig Edmonds 76-06-0 peg 1
  3. Neil Mercer 69-10-0 peg 8
Accidental Silvers:

  1. Craig Edmonds 23-02-0 peg 1
  2. Shaun Townsend 12-08-0 peg 3
Weigh Sheet:





No comments: