Thursday 29 June 2017

Thursday 29/06/2017 - Ivy House Cost Cutter - Kingfisher Canal

After a weekend away in Brighton visiting the Grandkids I was looking forward to some solace. I don’t doddle when I drive but do more or less keep to national speeds limits, why are some people so desperate to get to work that the nearly kill themselves and other people. LEAVE EARLIER TWATS.

I decided on another visit to Ivy House - Kingfisher Canal today with Chris Ollis, Paul Barnfield and Harry Muir. Unfortunately Paul and Harry got a bit lost and had to have their pegs pulled for them. I was late in to the draw bag as I was held up by the inquisitive Mr. O’Zone. Peg 6 came out, at last in the Skimmer area.

Initially set up a 4x14 F1 Winter on the top-set plus one. I re-plumbed the rig at top-set plus two and found it 6 inches shallower, tested the depth again at top-set plus three and again 6 inches shallower. Instead of the usual trick of marking the line and using the same rig I set up 4x12 F1 as the depth would be OK for it. The final rig was a 4x10 Speedy Titan on the top-set for the LH margin which just kept going off steeple to full depth.

Bait wise I had dead reds, 2mm and 4mm expander, wetted micro and some of Tom Thick’s new GB. I started on the short deepest line feeding some GB laced with 2mm expander. And with 4mm expander on the hook it took a surprising long time to catch a small Widger Carp. I then had a 2lb Skimmer and after feeding some more the swim went iffy, in that there were plenty of signs of feeding fish but I wasn’t catching them. So I went out a section further this time with 4mm expander over potted micro. I had some small Carp on this, but it was too slow for the size of fish. I had been loose feeding the LH margin with deadish maggot so gave that a try with double deadish reds on the Speedy and didn’t look back catching a couple of decent Skimmers followed by Perch and Ronnie’s then repeat. I switched from the Speedy to the 4x 12 Winter and caught slightly better up and down the water all on maggot over maggot. I accidentally tipped up the maggots losing 1/2 pint – bugger. The swim died a bit probably because I started rationing the feed, so introduced some GB laced with DR’s which totally killed the swim! So using the few maggots I had left enticed a few more decent Skimmers back in. Easy fishing on the top-set nice up and close to the bites it doesn’t get any better. Harry Muir on the next peg 5 threw away a pint of maggots at the end, wish I knew he had some!

I finished with 10lb 8oz of Widger Carp and 48lb 4oz of Silvers for a total of 58lb 12oz to win the Silvers and second overall in the match for double bubble pickup. A great days fishing.

The match was won by Terry Robinson (pictured right with the Silvers winner) from peg 7 with 67lb 4oz. Terry had initially targeted the Silvers but realising I had a head start went over to the far bank late on fishing pellet over pellet in 12 inches of water, adding six decent Carp to his Silvers weight. Well done matey a good decision.

Full Result:

  1. Terry Robinson 67-04-0 peg 7
  2. Mike Nicholls 58-12-0 peg 6
  3. Val 57-12-0 peg 15
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 48-04-0 peg 6
  2. Terry Robinson 23-14-0 peg 7
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: