Sunday 18 June 2017

Sunday 18/06/2017 - Windmill Fishery - Open - Match Lake

I had planned to stay home today but as it was Fathers Day decided to spoil myself and go fishing at Windmill. However, I wasn’t that prepared, no Maggot or Casters in the bag so it was either expander or paste. It was another meat free breakfast.

Driving into the fishery everyone was avoiding the Bra that had been left in the drive yesterday and was still there on the way out! However, Terry the Fishery Manager went down to the peg a young lady had been fishing and found a thong (pictured lower right). Yuck!

I was sorry to hear Tom Baker has left the fishery it sounds as if the long hours didn’t suit him, shame a really nice person. I can understand a lot of work goes into fishery management this time of year. Terry Smith back from foreign parts was running the match today. If anyone has lost any items of clothing contact him at Bitterwell Fishery – best wait to Danielle is out.

Three golden pegs £100 each 26 again, 6 and 7. Into the draw box and out comes peg 9. I was hoping this was to be an end peg. Unfortunately up rolled Joe McMahon who soon after arriving at his peg called me down to show me how many Carp was in his peg – it was absolutely black with them.  Best I fish for Silvers then.

I started on a 4x14 F1 Winter to fish at top-set plus two with 4 mm expander over micro and had a few small Skimmers which appeared to feeding well so was anticipating a good day. Unfortunately it didn’t last long before I had a dumpy little Carp and two very small Carp. The swim subsequently completely died so added another section and re-fed and caught a few more Skimmers’ before foul hooking a decent Carp which took the lot. On reflection it was at this stage I should have switch to paste on the inside, but as everyone I could see including John Baker (who was later to pack in early) was struggling with the Silvers, so set up another 4x14 F1. I had to add yet another section to catch some more small Skimmers. Time for the Banana walk and everyone except pegs 18 and 10 were struggling. Into the last two now so abandoned the Silvers and had a go for the Carp and had four munters on the paste losing two foulers. One broke 0.2 GLine six inches from the connector, when I was packing the car I found the rest of the rig 20 metres behind me lucky and lucky it didn’t end up speared in my person I think.

The temperature had soared to 31 degrees, first time I took the umbrella for a few years - glad I did.

The upshot was I didn’t fish well at all falling between Silvers and Carp it would have been a different story had I prepared better. My Silvers weighed 9lb 7oz and my few Carp 45lb 10oz for a total of 55lb 1oz.

As we all expected the match was won Joe McMahon (pictured top right) with a new venue record of 298lb from peg 10. Joe caught most of his fish stalking with pellet and late on in his margin using corn over GB. Well done Joe impressed me even if it’s not proper fishing.

The Silvers was won by Dave Haines (pictured right with his catch) with 15lb from peg 23. Dave caught Skimmers and Tench fishing caster and maggot on his top-set. Well done matey.

Full Result:

  1. Joe McMahon 298-0-0 peg 10 (new lake record)
  2. Lee Davidson 73-08-0 peg 20
  3. Mace G 69-06-0 peg 18
  4. Steve Dawson 65-06-0 peg 16
  5. Mike Nicholls 55-01-0 peg 9
  6. Martyn Rayet 52-10-0 peg 6
Top Silvers:

  1. Dave Haines 15-0-0 peg 23
  2. Bill Ferris 11-01-0 peg 3
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: