Sunday 7 May 2017

Sunday 07/05/2017 - Windmill Fishery - Open - Match Lake

First stop Wetherspoons Kingswood meeting up with Geoff Francis and Gordon Cannings, another decent Breakie. No Bela as he tried his luck on the Golden Reel at Viaduct yesterday.

It was a disappointing turnout with 10 fishing. Tom has agreed to look at the payout for next match so hopefully a few more will attend.

In to the draw box and out comes peg 10 which has for four consecutive pegs been the home of for Martyn Rayett. However, he did draw next to me on peg 8!

I set up a margin 4x10 F1 Winter for meat over a GB mix at top-set plus two down to my left and a 4x12 F1 Winter to fish at top-set plus three out in front with double DR’s over my GB mix..

I think Carp and Match Anglers can learn from another so I asked Tom Baker who is a renowned boilie maker to help me with a paste and margin mix. Tom came down to my swim during the match and we experimented with a mix. I think we got it about right.

So learning from previous matches this peg hasn’t been that great, with Martyn Rayett only max 40lb of Carp I decided to fish for Silvers, so started by feeding a small ball of GB with some loose DR’s on the long line. I started reasonable well bout soon realised Carp were disrupting the Silvers, and was soon playing a foul hooker which came off near the bank; the scale was so big I put it in the Carp net! So now a I had a dilemma – Carp or Silvers. I was itching to try my new margin GB so fed some and tried the 6mm meat over it and immediately lost another foul hooker. I then had four Carp on the trot. Having rested the Silvers I had another go over it and had a few more Skimmers until I hooked the resident 13lb 8oz Mirror. It took me 15 minutes to get it out on the Silver rig. I nearly running out of patients.

The upshot was I fell between two stool catching 15lb 6oz of Skimmers and 44lb 6oz of Carp for a total of 59lb 12oz for second Silvers and fourth overall both one out of the coin.

I must say I am looking forward to trying this GB down Viaduct. I was impressed with it. The margin mix/paste can be purchased from Tom Baker at Windmill Fishery. It’s called “Senile” and retails at £4 per Kilo.

The match was won by youngster Andrew Cranston (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 87lb 13oz from peg 18. Andrew caught on worm over GB long down his RH margin.

The Silvers was won by Diddly Bonk with 17lb 8oz from peg 20. Dave caught on maggot over GB laced with caster and maggot at top-set plus three. Hs catch included Tench, Perch, Crucian’s and Skimmers.

Full Result:

  1. Andrew Cranston 87-13-0 peg 18
  2. John Clarke 85-02-0 peg 3
  3. John Osborne 63-10-0 peg 1
  4. Mike Nicholls 59-12-0 peg 10
Top Silvers:

  1. Dave Haines 17-08-0 peg 20
  2. Mike Nicholls 15-06-0 peg 10
Weigh Sheet: The neatest weigh sheet I've seen.


No comments: