Sunday 9 April 2017

Sunday 09/04/2017 - Windmill Fishery Open - Match Lake

Note: Shaun Townsend is running a match at Windmill on Good Friday either call him to book in or just turn up. Draw 09:00.

Back travelling with Bela after completing his winter leagues and health spars! We had breakfast club at Wetherspoons, where we were joined by Geoff “Slayer” Francis.

There were seventeen of us fishing today, so plenty of room. With the wind blowing down the lake I suggested that peg 16 be put in the draw, leaving out peg 14. I was first in to the draw box and out comes peg 3. Umm, I have picked up coin the two previous times I had drawn it. For company on peg 1 was Lee Waller, I was hoping he wasn’t going for a swim again today. Opposite was matey Bela. Interestingly, Geoff Francis drew peg 26 again as he did last Thursday, Bob Price, Dave Willmott and Ade Crawley, also drew the same pegs, amazing.

The wind was expected to increase and so it did. Because of the wind the Ronnie rig was a no goer. So it was a 4x16 and a 4x14 F1 winter the latter to fish at top-set plus 2 using DR’s over GB down wind to my left  at 10-o-clock and the other top-set plus 3 out in front over 4mm expander over micro. After feeding both lines I started on the longer line where I found the float was going through horribly with the wind. It took a while to catch three small Carp to 1lb, plus two Skimmers. The presentation was crap. So I came in over the GB line with double DR’s. I couldn’t believe I couldn’t get a bite even though I could hold it back against the wind. I would have preferred to fish up to the Sedges to my right but the sun was too bright. After trying allsorts and only putting 2lb of silvers in the net I went for a walk around the fishery, there were a few carp coming out down the bottom end in the direction of the wind. It wasn’t until the last 90 minutes that I could fish to my right and with the wind picking up I was able to pick up a trip into the wind away from me. I soon added 12 lb of Skimmers fishing 4 mm expander over micro, when with 20 minutes to go and at the delight of the Mallards I knocked the bait box containing the expanders into the water. I couldn’t be bothered to get the pump out so switched to 6mm meat I should had known the Carp would come over it, losing one foul hooker and landing two Commons that wasted me a lot of time trying to get them in the net. I don’t think my laziness cost me anything – just.

I finished the match with seven Carp that tip the scales to 18lb 14oz and my Silvers which I thought might be enough to win weighed 14lb 8oz for a total of 33lb 6oz. Alas as I thought the fish had moved with the wind down to the far end where Dave Willmott pipped me for the Silvers weighing 18lb – well done matey. I don’t know how he fished because he left early magically disappearing, but do have my suspicions.

The match was won by Keith Builder with 87lb 3oz from peg 16 – told you!! Keith fished down to his end margin catching on 8mm meat over cupped 8mm meat. Again no pictured as he fished on.

Joint second overall was Bela and John Clarke on adjacent pegs. The video below is of Bela fishing 17 metres. A good advert for the strength of both him and his pole.

Full Result:

  1. Keith Builder 87-03-0 peg 16
  2. Bela Bakos 64-07-0 peg 25
  3. John Clarke 64-07-0 peg 24
Top Silvers:

  1. Dave Willmott 1807-0 peg 10
  2. Mike Nicholls 14-08-0 peg 3
Weigh Sheet (Nice Nails):




No comments: