Sunday 26 March 2017

Sunday - Windmill Open - Match Lake

In two minds whether to go today for two reasons the bastard wind that just won’t abate plus it was Mothers Day so expect match attendances to be down. The wind didn’t seem too bad in the back garden so decided to have a go local at Windmill Fishery. Driving there I kept an eye on the tops of the tall trees again the wind didn’t seem to bad. But as we have now come to expect arriving at the fishery the wind was howling. The fishery needs at least seven before they pay Silvers so hung back on paying the pools until I was sure there was enough – nine hardy soles arrived so paid the pools subject to peg 20 not being pegged.

In to the draw box and put comes peg 6 which is a favourite of mine. For company on peg 8 was the affable John Clarke. Arriving at the peg my enthusiasm waned some what because the wind was blowing in at me at 10-o-clock between the islands. I set up the one rig a 4x16 F1 where at top-set plus two I found the full depth of five foot. However, not only was the wind blowing the float towards me it was also going with the wind – left to right – bugger.

The bright sun forced me to fish to my left facing directly into the wind. I had decided to fish similar to Thursdays match using 4mm expander over GB. I was surprised how quick the fish fed and was willing to take an ill presented expander. This was the start of a very enjoyable match catching Skimmers from 2 oz to 1lb. The only problem was the wind was stinging my eyes so at half time, once the sun had moved sufficient for me fish out in front I changed to fishing double DR’s over DR’s and dried out micros feed. Again this worked well but expected that Carp to show an interest. And after catching some better Skimmers to 2lb, as expected I did catch five small Carp.

I finished the match with 21lb 15oz of Silvers and 18lb 13 oz of Carp for a total of 40lb 12oz for first in the Silvers.

The match was won by the Windmill Slayer – Chris Davis (pictured upper right with the Silvers winner) with 73lb 14oz from fancied end peg 26. Chris caught on both the straight lead and pole using hard pellet over loose fed hard pellet.

Full Result:

  1. Chris Davis 73-14-0 peg 26
  2. John Clarke 70-0-0 peg 8
  3. Dave Willmott 49-04-0 peg 10
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 21-15-0 peg 6
  2. Billy Ferris 7-06-0 peg 22
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: