Sunday 19 February 2017

Sunday - 19/02/2017 - Windmill Open - Match Lake

Geoff Francis and I thought we would try Wetherspoons for breakfast, but concerned that we wouldn’t make the 09:00 draw because they don’t open until 08:00. It wasn’t a problem they opened spot on time with the breakfast arriving ten minutes later so we arrived at the draw in plenty of time. I must say I was impressed with the breakfast especially for the price, regular Sunday for now on.

With the weather mildish I expected a decent turn out, which we got with 17 fishing. This is one of the most difficult fisheries to peg I fish. Des Shipp and I had a go at pegging it, with Dave Haines having the last say. I was surprised Dave took out peg 13 on the end bank.

I was hoping to draw between peg 3 counting backwards to peg 22. Early into the draw and out comes peg 9. I still had in my recent memory of the 23lb of Skimmer I had off peg 8 so I thought I would target the Silvers. So the one rig that does all for me on this fishery at the moments – a 4x14 Malman F1 winter. The bottom is fairly flat from 6 metres to 11.5 metres but does slope off to the right into deeper water. Unfortunately there was some decent tow against the wind to the right so I plumb to the right where I estimated would be the end of the swim, which meant starting over depth. On the bait tray I had wetted micro, Dead Reds, Pinkies and GB. I started longer than usual because the water looked clear at top-set plus three. The plan was to feed two lines at the same distance but 2 metres apart. The first swim I fed a smidgen of micro and DR’s and on the down wind swim GB laced with Pinkie. With double DR on a no 20 – 808 I started to get some indications from Carp. Now you have to strike at everything don’t you. Well the first three strikes resulted in three lost foul hook Carp. I topped up after every bite/liner. Once again I was towing into the fish. I tried my best to hold back, but the wind wasn’t helpful pulling the float away from me. I did hook the next Carp in the mouth. I topped up and tried running over the GB line only to get two indications which I thought was tugs from small Perch. The upshot was I kept on the Micro line until two hours from the end where I caught another three decent Carp before adding the 11.5 metre section and starting again, where first try I had a dumpy Carp. Over the match I landed five losing five foulers, so enough on the hook for second!! Thats easier said than done.

My five Carp went 30lb 11oz for fifth overall. No Silvers, the word is that the fishery is suffering from Cormorant predation. Hope this doesn’t last long as I might be looking for somewhere else to fish.
 
The match was won by Matty Tainton (pictured upper right with some of his catch) with a decent catch of 95lb 15oz from peg 25. Matty caught at 13 metres using maggot over micro pellet feed.

The Silvers was won by Alan Jones (pictured right) with a lowly 3lb 5oz from peg 26. Alan broke his pole so was forced to fish at 5 metres with single maggot over micro, which paid off for him.

And finally well done to Dave Britton for coming second today, I won't tell the Missis about the pick-up!!

Full Result:

  1. Matty Tainton 95-15-0 peg 25
  2. Dave Britton 52-05-0 peg 18
  3. Luke Pester 44-08-0 peg 22
  4. Chris Davis 35-04-0 peg 7 or was it 6
  5. Mike Nicholls 30-11-0 peg 9
  6. Des Shipp 28-0-0 peg 20
Top Silvers:

  1. Alan Jones 3-05-0 peg 26
  2. Dave Britton 2-12-0 peg 18
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: