Thursday 19 January 2017

Thursday 19/01/2017 - Thursday - Bathampton Silvers League - Round Two - Bridge Pool

After recent mild weather it was a very hard frost this morning – very disappointing, best put the breaker in just in case, plus I might make some money hiring it out. Alas not the case.

Next stop Hungry Horace’s where I met up with Pete UTG Greenslade and after a reasonably priced breakfast it was an early arrival at the fishery. As per usual a few of us congregated on the Bridge between the Main Lake and Bridge Pool and we spotted what resembled an Otter swimming around in the middle of the Main Lake, by the time I got the camera from the car it had disappeared - as they do, its head was far too big to be a Mink.

It was back in B section for me with the same anglers as last match. Alas not, Glenn Bailey had wintered off to Jamaica and John Smith to Barbados with Rich Coles unfortunately in Bridgwater getting over an operation on his water works. So after drawing reasonable peg 8 the section went from peg 11 – Pete Greenslade, Jimmy Norris (Rich) peg 10, welcome to the Dark Side Craig Fletcher (Glenn) peg 7, Paul Haines (John) peg 6, organiser Chris Rolf.

With wall to wall sunshine and little to no wind predicted and because we were south facing Chris Rolfe quite rightly said our worse enemy would be the sun. I had left my clip-on Polaroid’s home so used the ones in the seat box which hasn’t quite got the focal length required to select the best hook bait!

I set up two of the best float ever made – a Malman F1 winter 4x14 – one black tip and the other yellow. The Back top initially to fish at top set plus three out in front, the yellow top-set plus four at 2 o clock. I fed the black line with GB laced with DR’s and the yellow line with DR’s and soaked Micro. As expected it was a slow start for everyone. With DR’s on the hook I had three Ronnie’s on the black tip, when this slowed I tried the yellow tip with again DR’s on the hook and had one Ronnie and a Perch of about 1lb. This settled things down. Although I kept topping up the yellow line I only had one missed bite on this line. The upshot was I kept a few Roomies and decent Skimmers coming in fits and starts on the black line until the last 45 minutes when I did my usual over-feed trying to force some bigger Skimmers to the net, but only, managed to attract Carp which buggered the dying part of the match.

I finished the match with 10lb 10oz for a cash section win plus a match win and a promissory bond from Veals Tackle – pictured upper right.

Full Section Results:

A: Tony Rixon 7-05-0 peg 32
A: Dave Gillard 4-11-0m peg 3
B: Mike Nicholls 10-10-0 peg 8
B: Chris Rolfe 4-02-0 peg 5
C: Dave Wride 6-12-0m peg 15
C: Mike Owens 6-10-0mpeg 14
D: Callum Dicks 9-12-0 peg 26
D: Chris Ollis 8-14-0 peg 29


Weigh Sheets:





















1 comment:

Chris Rolfe said...

Who's a silly sod then. There are only 6 swims in b section not 7.