Thursday 24 November 2016

Thursday 24/11/2016 - Harescombe Open - Cost Cutter - Match Lake

Plenty of rain to re-establish the water table, and although my keep-nets had been out since Sunday they were still damp this morning. It as promised to be 10 degrees today but windy, but what wasn’t said was the wind would be bitterly cold blowing in from the NNW. Arriving at the fishery I had to become a Herder to move some cows from the entry gate. The usual suspects having breakfast, but the morning was brightened up when Nicky Collins came in delivering for Sensas M5. Nick is one of my Silvers Hero’s, hard to beat on any venue.

The venue has been fishing really hard and to be fair so has many other fisheries, probably accepts Hillview. The water had definitely coloured up, but not as much as I thought, the water running in and out was just still a dribble. But did expect it to fish much better than recent matches – WRONG.

In to the draw bag and out comes peg 19. Normally would be very happy with this one, but not today as the wind was blowing in at me at 11-o-clock, which was strong enough for me not to bother with the far bank. So it was just the one rig a 4x12 - F1 which was plumbed to fish at top-set plus one and three.

I started on 4mm expander over micro on the short line and within the first half hour had four small Skimmers and two small F1’s. I then got pestered by really small fish that couldn’t quite pull the float completely under. I decided to take off a number 12 shot to aid me not striking at these nibbles. Had some more small Skimmers, bit topping up caused a lull in the bites. Opened up the longer swim again with 4mm expander over micro and had a quick F1 and a couple more Skimmers. Again I was bothered by uncatchable small fish. So I made the brave decision to switch to 6mm meat. I think this was right as although I had to wait longer I didn’t get bothered by small fish. I fed meat on both lines and kept the odd Skimmer coming.

I was glad to hear Terry blow for the all out as I was bloody freezing. I weighed 13lb 2oz with the Skimmers making up the Lions share. It proved to be a very tight match and I was lucky to squeeze in to third and last in the money.

The match was jointly won by Terry Chivers and Tony Price (pictured below) with 13lb 10oz. Both caught on maggot with a late run in their margins.

Full Result:

  1. Terry Chivers 13-10-0 peg 8
1.       Tony Price 13-10-0 peg 4
3.    Mike Nicholls 13-02-0 peg 19
4.   Terry Girdlestone 12-0-0 peg 11
5.   Rob Pass 11-04-0 peg 14
6.   Roy Liddell10-04-0 peg 21


Weigh Sheet:


No comments: