Thursday 27 October 2016

Thursday 27/10/2016 - Harescombe Fishery - Cost Cutter - Match Lake

“All Fish Lives Matter” – got that one off my chest.

Back to Harescombe a small Pricey breakfast this time. No Ray Bazeley apparently out celebrating his Birthday as of yesterday – same Birthday as my twin Granddaughters.

What a mild day for near end of October, hope it continues until April!

In to the draw bag and out comes peg 5 – Again!! Rather fish somewhere new, but felt I could have done better last match by staying on the pellet longer. So a plan was in place and two of the “Rigs of the Day” (pictured right) connected on two top sets fitted with Drennan yellow elastics.

Because the water was even more clear that last week the margin rig never got used. The only rig to get wet today was the 4x12 F1. I started at top-set plus one with 4mm expander over pellet. It took a while to catch my first fish a 12 oz Skimmer. It was a much slower start than last week. I kept a few Skimmers and the odd F1 coming on the pellet which I stayed on for half the match with about 6lb of Skimmers and ten F1’s in the net I had a surprised visit from Tony Cambridge who lives just a few minutes from the fishery, Tony is good mates with Arthur Marshall both great river anglers in their time. Arthur is not too good at the movement. It was nice to see Tony again.

I’m a one dinner plate man and not keen to have separate lines but decided to add another section and start a meat line at 10 0 clock. This produced two proper Carp weighing 5lb between them, plus a few F1’s and Skimmers. However, the best line remained the short pellet line which did get better towards the end.

Amazingly I finished the match with the same number of fish as last match with the Skimmers weighing 13lb 8oz and my F1’s 41lb 9oz for a match winning weight of 55lb 1oz (pictured right). I knew the F1’s were smaller this match with the 26 weighing 6lb less, but with 4lb more Skimmer weight!!

Finally Martin Alexander aka “Arkwright” drew peg 29 and against my advice decided backed down the bank towards his peg only to end up in the ditch. Luckily Andy Price was on hand to drag him out – see video below.


Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 55-01-0 peg 5
  2. Ade Stokes 50-0-0 peg 15
  3. Alan Oram 45-12-0 peg 19
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: