Thursday 1 September 2016

Thursday 01/09/2016 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's and Disabled - Dave Crookes Fishery - Bridge Pool

After a couple of weeks away with the Special One it was back to the Thursday matches and choose to fish the Coffin Dodgers at the Dave Crookes Fishery.

Woke up early as usual and as it was such a beautiful morning left early but didn’t beat Mike Jones to the fishery. Start of autumn which is my most favourite season.

The twelve quid paid in and into the draw bag and out comes peg 4. No emotion but not one of the pegs I would have chosen. End peg today so that should be OK for attracting Carp!!

Three rigs today; a 4x16 Jolly – 0.12 bottom to18 – 808 to fish single dead red over GB at 10 metres. A 4x16 Jolly – 0.14 bottom to 16- 808 to fish at top-set plus one just down the inside shelf for caster over caster. Finally the Ronnie rig for caster over caster.

I fed all the caster lines and fed two large balls of GB laced with a few dead reds on the 10 metre line where I started on a single dead red and caught four decent Skimmers before it went to small Skimmers. The up shot was I caught skimmers of various sizes on this line, small Perch on the short line on caster and I had to switch to maggot on the Ronnie rig to catch the odd Perch, tiny Skimmers and Rudd. I did loose two decent Skimmers on this line, one was foul hooked.

I hooked a big Skimmer which changed to a Tench then to a 2lb Carp. I landed one other Carp a 4 pounder. I did have two foul hookers, so not too bad.

I finished the match with 21lb 8oz for third overall those lost Skimmers costing me first spot today.

The Herons are becoming a nuisance with two of us being attacked whilst playing fish. You certainly wouldn't want one of their beaks in the side of your head. Also it's definitely a misconception that they only eat small fish, I saw them take two 2lb Skimmers.

The match was won by Paul Barnfield (pictured right) with 23lb 3oz from peg 14. Paul caught mainly Skimmers on both soft pellet and maggot over micro pellet.

Full Result:

  1. Paul Barnfield 23-03-0 peg 14
  2. Steve Dawson 22-12-0 peg 32
  3. Mike Nicholls 21-08-0 peg 4
  4. Pete Greenslade 20-07-0 peg 16
  5. Mike Jones 17-14-0 peg 6
  6. Chris Rolfe 16-04-0 peg 18
 Weigh Sheets:






















No comments: