Wednesday 10 August 2016

Wednesday 10/08/2016 - Summerhayes Open - Sellicks

A change today off to Summerhayes with Two Pots Bailey, first a stop at Hillview cafĂ© where we met Joe McMahon who was planning to fish the Sedges but as he hadn’t booked in change his mind and came with us.

Waiting for the draw I was surprised meet up with Gary Butler who was also fishing. I haven’t seen Gary for 30 or more years – Gary was also a member of the Bathampton AA side back then and a great river angler. He drew next to me and I couldn’t help noticing that his fishing kit was exactly the same as back then (pictured right). In fact Pete had to come down with his drill to cut out some holes for his keep net bank sticks!!

Second into the furry draw box and out comes peg 2. In the previous match it had 180lb off it so was happy with this. However, it would be difficult to fish the far bank due to the wind which was blowing round the end of the island. Two Pots drew opposite on peg 23.

Paste has been doing the business at this fishery so that was that, I set up three paste floats one far bank, one for top-set plus one and the last for the RH margin. I started over kindering some hard 4’s but was for ever changing the depth as the varied considerably; this caused a few foul hookers mainly from small Carp. I had fed the short line with hard 4’s so gave that a try with paste to no avail. So I potted in two big pots of micro in some GB and went into the RH margin where I had been loose feeding hard 4’s. This produced some better Commons and for two hours caught steady – but never to the extent Two Pots was catching and was certainly by half way through had won the match because everyone else appeared to be struggling. Come the last hour I really struggled. It wasn’t until the last ten minutes that I noticed the Carp had moved over the GB and micro where I should have spent the last dull Hour.
 
I weighed 52lb 3oz for fifth overall 2lb 5oz out of the coin!!

As expected the match was easily won by Two Pots (pictured right) with 157lb 12oz from peg 23, nearly 100lb a head of everyone else. Glenn caught on his favoured paste and pellet attack.

The Silvers was won by camera shy Jeff Sparks with 10lb 3oz from peg 9. Jeff caught on maggot over GB.

Full Result:

  1. Glenn Bailey 157-12-0 peg 23
  2. Mike West 67-09-0 peg 5
  3. Martin A 54-08-0 peg 11
  4. Roger B 53-10-0 peg 14
  5. Mike Nicholls 52-03-0 peg 2
  6. Bill H 42-06-0 peg 21
Top Silvers:

  1. Jeff Sparks 10-03-0 peg 9
  2. Glen Wickham 5-15-0 peg 19
Weigh Sheet:




No comments: