Friday 12 August 2016

Thursday 12/08/2016 - Amalgamation Autumn Silvers League - Round Four - Sabre Lake

First stop Miss Piggy’s in Lyneham for breakfast, yummy it was too, might go for the large next time. I arrived in plenty of time for the 10 o clock draw. I was emotional to watch two Red Kites playing and tumbling around above the Lake can’t miss their usual call.

Into the draw Sainsbury’s plastic bag and out comes peg 1 which is the furthest end peg, car park side best Carp peg on the Lake – bugger – Silvers only match. For company I had Peter Pan of angling Mike Jones on peg 2. The wind was blowing hard into my peg which was going to add to the already difficult day ahead.

I decided to fish as far out as the wind would allow hoping to avoid the Carp splashing around under the Willow on my right which was 10 metres where I found five foot of water but was still gently sloping off, nonetheless the presentation was going to be poor so used a heavier 4x16 Jolly back shotted. The feed here would be GB with a few reds and casters. The Ronnie rig would have been nice but for the wind so stayed on the winder on the tray in case. Thinking there might be a few Perch around I also set up a 4x14 Jolly to fish top-set plus one with caster over caster. No feeder today.

I started on the long line with single red on an 808 - 18 and as expected the float was going with the wind. However, that didn’t stop the sucidal Ronnie’s and small Skimmers which lasted about an hour before it went iffy. So tried the short line for a rest with caster and had a few small Perch and a bonus 2lb Hybrid, my first of 13 Carp was next which took the lot snapping the elastic. New top-set and rig erected and went short again anticipating I scared off the new arrival Carp and had a run of better Ronnie’s to 8oz. As soon as loose fed a few casters the Carp would be right on them. So loose spread casters all over the swim and went back out on the long line but only topping up sparingly with GB. A few better Skimmers to 1lb followed but the presentation and the eager Ronnie’s getting to the maggot first made stringing the Skimmers hard. The wind had subsided so erected the Ronnie rig to fish caster over the now rested scattered casters. No more feed until I got desperate (or couldn’t help myself). By casting all around the swim I caught really well for half an hour without feeding in the meantime neighbour Mr Jones was feeding quite heavy and I started to have the last laugh as he began to get battered by Carp. Couldn’t keep my and out the bait box and fed a few more casters and got battered to death by Carp to the point of not wanting to put the rig in.

The best bite came from the short line on single caster a rare species pictured upper right!

I weighed 16lb 12oz for a section win and second overall. I really enjoyed today but did get despondent to fish to avoid catching certain species of fish – don’t make sense.

Now for some serious rig replacement.

The match was won by Steve Jefferies (pictured right with his catch) with 20lb 6oz from peg 4. Steve caught of a GB cage feeder with double red maggot hook bait fished half way over in the deeper water.

Full Result:

  1. Steve Jefferies 20-06-0 peg 4
  2. Mike Nicholls 16-12-0 peg 1
  3. Bob Black 15-08-0 peg 23
  4. Mike Jones 14-12-0 peg 2
  5. Bill Ferris 12-0-0 peg 27
  6. John Osborne 11-10-0 peg 12
Weigh Sheet:











No comments: