Monday 29 August 2016

Sunday 28/08/2016 - Tony Rixon Flaot Only League - Final Round - Viaduct Fishery - Campbell and Carey

I checked the BBC weather forecast before selecting the appropriate fishing clothes choosing a light weight Gortex as only some light rain predicted – Umm.

I knew Bela was hungry because he started to count road kill, so first stop Shipham cafĂ©, Bela likes the breakie here and I must say it’s also to my liking.

Checking the league Bela and I were in 8th and 9th place on equal points with Bela having a higher weight.

Everyone wanted to be on Campbell for obvious reasons. I told Bela on the drive down that for some strange reason had peg 109 on Carey in my head, a peg I have never fished. In to the draw coffee tin and out comes peg 103, same section as 109! Arriving at the peg I was surprised to find peg 109 vacant and myself in a three man section, not fair for some anglers who were in a six peg section. For company in the next section I had Two Pots Bailey on peg 102 and on my Left on peg 105 Tom Mangnelllll. Angling is about decisions and for me how best to secure some coin. I couldn’t win the match from the peg at the moment so framing was out, a section win would also be difficult as Tom was in for a placing in the overall league and hard to beat on Carp. So thought I would fish or Silvers in the hope that the Silvers on Campbell shut up shop. It wouldn’t be out of the question to be beaten on Campbell by accidental silvers, OR should I have a paste off with Two Pots. I elected to fish for Silvers and see what developed.

I set up a Ronnie rig caster and caster, a 4x12 Jolly for expander over hard 4’s and perhaps a Gabe line. A 0.15 PC paste float for under the tree to my left. I must say neither Two Pots nor me had a proper margin not being able reach empty pallets we had each side of us because of trees. We felt a bit cramped. I started on the expander over kindered hard 4’s at 10 metres and caught small Skimmers to 1lb regularly, however, because I had a compromised rig in the hope of getting a Carey Carp to the net I was bumping off a few of the smaller Skimmers so switched to a lighter elastic. It was definitely go easy with the feed as it wasn’t long before a maraudering Carp arrived which disrupts the Skimmers for a while so opened a 9 metres line with the Gabe mix GB and by switching between the two lines kept a few Skimmers coming. I was relying on the Ronnie rig for perhaps 10lb of back up Ronnie’s but having tried for them on caster but unfortunately they had shut up shop. In the meantime Two Pots was snaring the occasional Carp on paste at 13 metres. The heavens then opened up and for an hour or so I couldn’t see my float because it was so heavy. So decide to take up the Chris Davis challenge, he had seen me plumping up the paste float on my top-set and challenged that if I caught a Carp on it he would run naked around the car park. Well I did and he didn’t. After everyone getting a surprise soaking it was back out on the Skimmers but as expected late in the match the Carp become a nuisance losing three on the Silvers rig. I then hooked my  pole number 3 under the stepped platform and broke it and went into a sulk until I thought I heard a jet go through the sound barrier, but no it was Two Pots doing a Paste strike and breaking his butt section. He had already broken a number 4 so my sulk disappeared, being taken up by Two pots who subsequently threw the towel in – no waterproofs with him. So technically with a DNW I won the paste off with the single Chris Davis Carp.

I finished with the one 9lb 7oz Carp and 20lb 6oz of Silvers which wasn’t enough for a Silvers pick up. However, except for the breakage and heavy rain I really enjoyed it and it was nice to see the Carey Skimmers putting on weight with a few pounders taking over from the “Bottle Tops”.

I’m not sure where Bela and I finished in the league but ended on equal points with Bela weighing another ton plus keeping his weight advantage.

Of the winner today some say his trolley has no wheels as it’s able to levitate to his peg, anyway it’s the man again - The Trig. Trig (pictured below centre with the Silvers winner) had already won the league and pulled peg 128 one above the spit and with Tony Rixon on one below peg 129 Trig wasn’t going to be denied another match win with 230lb 6oz. Trig caught short out in front and down his edge using 8mm meat hook and feed.
 The Silvers went to Paul Faiers with 34lb 2oz (highest overall league Silvers weight) from peg 111. Paul caught at 10 metres fishing hard banded 6mm pellet fished over hard 4’s, taking a mixture of Skimmers and Tench.

Full Result:





















Weigh Sheets:









































Overall League Top Six:

1. Craig The Trig Edmonds maximum 25 points 1,040lb
2. Steve Tucker 23 points 585lb
3. Tom Mangnel  23 points 520lb
4. Neil Mercer 22 points 599lb
5. Chris Davis 22 points 531lb
6. Dave White 431lb

No comments: