Monday 15 August 2016

Sunday 14/08/2016 - Tony Rixon's Float Only League - Round Five - Shiplate Fishery - All Lakes and Ponds

First stop Shipham for breakfast very nice too; the café is really handy to the fishery.

Arriving early at the fishery I had a walk around I must say it’s the most tidy and clean fisheries I have been to for a long time. The owners are obviously putting in lots of hard work – well done to them.

Today we were drawing to spend the day on either two Canals, a Lake or a garden pond.

In to the draw tin and out comes peg S10 – Squarcle (named apparently because it was originally a square pond then a circular part added later) peg 10 – Umm the garden pond which has ten pegs. For company in the five peg section was Ken Rayner who I couldn’t see or hear because of the aerator and foliage, opposite me matey Shaun Townsend, shrinking Martyn McMahon and ever expanding Adrian Jefferies, all of which I could see and hear. At last a peg I could reach an island at top-set plus two!! I was concerned about putting two keepnets in as I would loose half the swim! So put one in and tethered it along the bank.

I set up three rigs but only one got wet which was the 4x10 Jolly set to full depth in let’s be generous and say 4 foot of water at top-set plus nothing. The rig was 0.14 through to a 16 - 808 with a bulk of 5 no 11’s six inches from the hook with a no11 dropper half way between bulk and hook. Whilst waiting for the all in I banded up a dozen or so hard fours and pumped up some 4mm expanders. I had brought some casters which were a waste of time as all fish had to be put into one net - so no Silvers – umm.

Two swims one to my left at 10-o-clock on top-set to fish over loose fed wetted micro and the other in front on top-set to fish over loose fed hard 4’s. Started on the 10 o clock swim and caught small fish to 8oz one a bung using the expander. The species being either Gold fish, Common/Mirror Carp, Fantails, Ronnie’s and Skimmers. I switched to the hard banded thinking it might be quicker but found this slower as I had three bites before I hooked a fish. I found that when feeding a swim it slowed, so fed one and fished the other out, with the hard 4’s swim producing the slightly better fish (relatively speaking as the biggest was 1 ½ lb). At half way I had to put in another net because the fish were splashing around, but by now I had the fish concentrated so the net went down the RH side away fro the areas I was fishing. In the last hour thankfully things slowed being relieved to hear the all out.

My first net weighed 42lb and the second 29lb12oz which shows how it slowed towards the end. For a section winning total of 71lb 12oz and apparently a Pond record. Who would have thought a peg on this pond would have made it into the top 15.

I must say this pond is ideal for taking a child for there first angling experience – plenty of bites and some beautifully coloured fish. I don’t think it will be long before I’ll be badgered to take the grandchildren.

The match was won by “The Trig” (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with a new Lake and venue record of 222lb 14oz from peg 14. Trig caught at 12 metres fishing paste over pellet. Trig also won the knockout and can’t be beaten in the league. I really think it’s time for one of the major tackle manufacturers to take The Trig into a full sponsorship, he a credit to the sport and at the moment nearly unbeatable against quality South West anglers.

Today matey “Two Pots” Bailey found himself in a fish paste sandwich being beaten each side by paste. However, he still managed 4th so plenty of fish around these three pegs.

The Silvers was won by Paul Faiers with 22lb 14oz from peg 12. Paul caught mainly small Ronnie’s on maggot, GB and hemp seed fished at top-set plus three. Well done matey.

My travelling partner Bela Bakos (pictured right with his personal trainer) is at last listening to my advice and was runner up today from Hawthorne Canal with another Lake record of 208lb 12oz from peg H6. Well done matey. More Pinky Ponk in Bar Gar-age.

For unknown reasons no information available as to the overall league standings.

Full Result:





















Weigh Sheets:





































No comments: