Thursday 21 July 2016

Wednesday 20/07.2016 - Windmill Fishery - Match Lake - Shaun Townsend "Just Turn Up" Evening Match

With the temperatures souring time to try the Shaun Townsend “Just turn up” Evening match at the Windmill Fishery. Terry the Fishery Manager had us put out our keep nets before the draw as per Hillview Fishery. Everyone is nervous at the moment due to out breaks of KHV in a number of Midlands fisheries.

It was nice to meet up with Phil Mercer again we reckon that the last time we fished the same match together was on the National Angling Championships on the Witham both fishing for Fry’s AA.

In to the draw bag and out come wooden counter with peg 7 on it. The peg is in open water between the two islands. This didn’t deter me as I can’t reach 95% of the island margins anyway. In any case the wind, as usual, was sever enough to deter the largest of angler!

The draw is at 17:00 with the start at 17:30 so it was amusing to see the other twelve anglers scrabbling to get set up.

Although there was a Silvers pool and because it was an evening match I decided to fish for Carp. I set up two paste rigs one to fish on the top set out in front in  four foot of water, another paste rig for the down wind LH margin in 18” of water.

I thought I would have a bit of an experiment tonight so elected to feed the margin with GB to fish paste over later. I started by potting a half pot of hard 4’s on the longer line!! First put in with paste I had a hard fighting Common Carp – happy days – but that was it as the nibblers arrived to erode the paste hook bait. I started to loose feed hard 4’s over the top which only made things worse. Into the margin early (relatively speaking) and as I half expected it was full of nibblers sat over the GB. It was very bright which wasn’t helping matters. Decision was made to switch to a Ronnie rig which was quickly set up. Luckily I had a pint of one week old caster in the bait bag. Loads of Rudd in the swim but all I was doing is adding ounces to the net whilst waiting for the Carp to come on the feed. I kept feeding the long line with hard fours and maggot, the latter I think worked well as in the last hour or so I had nine more decent Carp to 8lb.

All out 21:30 at which time is was near dark. The pictured above right was taken facing east but that is not the Sun in the picture right but the Moon!!

My few silvers weighed 5lb 8oz (equivalent to one Carp) and my ten Carp 61lb for a total of 66lb 8oz for third and last in the money.

The match was won by Neil Mercer (pictured right with the match runner up) with 114lb from peg 22.Neil caught most of his fish short on his top set using 8mm meat over similar loose feed.

Full Result:

  1. Neil Mercer 114-0-0 peg 22
  2. Martyn Rayett 93-0-0 peg 5
  3. Mike Nicholls 66-08-0 peg 7
  4. Joe McMahon 60-13-0 peg 26
Top Silver:

  1. Martyn Rayett  11-0-0 peg 5
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: