Friday 22 July 2016

Thursday 21/07/2016 - Harescombe Fishery - Cost Cutter - Match Lake

It was back to Harescombe and breakfast with the usual suspects, seventeen fishing today – one short of the optimum for the venue.

After the usual ten minute pre-match Pricey ceremony it was into the draw bag and out came peg 17. Very happy with this as it’s an end peg today and on the far bank. For company on peg 18 was newbie Mike Chapman. Whilst we tacked up a sheep nearly fell in the Lake off the bridge, Mike Chapman said we were lucky it didn’t as sheep can’t swim – I didn’t know that.

I predominantly use meat on this venue so I had previously cut up some 6mm spam noticing how hot the tins were due to the recent warm weather finding that the meat was really soft with plenty of grease about (do people actually eat this stuff). It went mushy during cutting – never mind as I was to freeze it. It was duly thawed out on the day of the match and liberally covered with water to aid its non buoyancy. This made it more mushy but hookable plus it looked more enticing for the fish with bits falling off as it sank.

I set up the usually two rigs one in front at full depth and the other in the LH margin, both to be fished on the top-set.

After potting in meat in both swims I started out in front and had a Skimmer first put-in. I started to loose feed the meat over the top and some of the tiny bits of meat were hanging in the surface tension (not much wind today) which the one inch long fry found appetising – finally attracting millions of tiny Roach surrounding my float. By getting the right feeding pattern I started to catch F1’s, but it wasn’t frantic. I kept trying the margin where I had also been loose feeding 6mm meat only to find the meat being snaffled before it hit bottom by Ronnie’s. I kept swapping between the two lines for only the in front line to produce F1’s – plenty of Silvers from the margin though! I then made a mistake expecting to plunder the margin in the last 90 minutes I hooked an early proper Carp and was fooled into staying here to the end only to get thoroughly frustrated by the Ronnie’s. The decision not to stay out on front cost me coin today as I didn't add anything significant during the remainder of my stay in the margin. Plus I must rethink using too soft meat as I think this encouraged the Silvers. Perhaps feeding hard 4’s might have been the way to go in this case.

Halfway through the angler on peg 21 (pictured above right) broke his Diawa pole (yes they do break) and was seen skulking along the island after retrieving it. Everyone was sympathetic! However, he did pick up a tenner for fourth so that will help towards a new number six section.

My Silvers weighed 15lb 4oz and my F1’s 44lb 1oz for a fifth weight of 59lb 5oz.

The match was won by Jason Powell (pictured right with some his catch) with 108lb 7oz from peg 29. Jason caught primarily on the method feeder cast around his peg including the margin. He also caught some on paste.

Runner up was Ray Bazeley (pictured right with his catch) with 88lb 3oz from peg 20. Ray also applied the method feeder fished to the island.

Full Result:

  1. Jason Powell 108-07-0 peg 29
  2. Ray Bazeley 88-03-0 peg 20
  3. Martin Hook 75-02-0 peg 15
  4. Paul Haines 64-06-0 peg 21
  5. Mike Nicholls 59-05-0 peg 17
  6. Roy Lidl 55-07-0 peg 2 (His name is really Liddell but has changed it hoping for discounts – typical Scot)
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: