Thursday 7 July 2016

Thursday 07/07/2016 - Bathampton AA Over 55's and Disabled - Dave Crookes Fishery - Bridge Pool

It was another visit to the Dave Crookes Fishery on Bridge Pool with the Coffin Dodgers. However, this match Carp will count, BUT all Carp over 5lb would be transferred to Withy Pool. No democracy here as most of the club anglers and Coffin Dodgers that fish Bridge Pool want the Carp to remain.

Finally I managed to get my mitts in to the travelling draw bag being driven around by Ray Bazeley and I pull disc 26. I was reasonably happy with the peg as it has fond memories for me. For company I had “Laid Back” Norris on peg 24 and the nicest Bailiff around Mike Taylor on peg 27.

Three rigs – A 4x16 jolly to fish at top-set plus two out in front in seven foot of water  and six inches off around to the left at 90 degrees at top-set plus three sections, a Ronnie rig for the caster and finally a Barnett 0.3 Paste rig for each side margin on the top set.

The water was still and very clear compared to other fisheries I had fished recently.

I fed four big balls of neat GB on the in front line and two balls around to the left.  By the time I picked up the Jolly rig both lines were fizzing like mad. Started out in front with double maggot on the hook and – nothing no liners – nothing. Then I had a 1lb Skimmer – then nothing. Switched around to the left swim for a look see and a 3lb Skimmer straight away – that’s better – not. I had nothing more, other than three tiny Skimmers that took an age to take the bait. So switched to the Ronnie rig where I had been loose feeding caster and I hooked a Carp first try which ended in tears and a trashed rig. Bugger it, Carp day it was to be then. So switched to the paste fished over loose fed hard 4’s and caught eight Carp steady from both margins through the remaining five hours to 14 pounds.

My few Silvers weighed 4lb 14oz and my eight Carp 70lb 8oz (some of them pictured right) for a match winning total of 75lb 5oz. I was surprised by the absence of the Roach which I put down to the lack of oxygen.

The Silvers was won matey Steve Dawson (pictured right with the match winner) with 25lb 13 oz from peg 29. Steve started deep on the soft pellet which accounted for a few decent Skimmers. In the meantime Steve feed the fish up in the water with maggot and for the remaining five hours caught small fish regularly combined the occasional decent Skimmer.


The BAA club Committee were at hand at the weigh-in to transfer the Carp to Withy so it wasn’t a question of “Au Revoir“ but so long it was good to know you. Sad day for me – strange fishery management.

Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 75-05-0 peg 26
  2. Rich Coles 52-12-0 peg 4
  3. Steve Dawson 39-01-0 peg 29
Top Silvers:

  1. Steve Dawson 25-13-0 peg 29
  2. Chris Ollis 25-04-0 peg 8
  3. Paul Barnfield 25-0-0 peg 11
Weigh Sheets:






1 comment:

alright me duck said...

Strange is not a word I would use irresponsible is more in keeping with what the committee is doing. Fish should not be moved at tis time of year, from being the best club water in the south west its now average well done the committee