Monday 4 July 2016

Sunday 03/07/2016 - Tony Rixon's Float Only - Round Three - Landsend Fishery - Specimen, Match and John Walters Lakes

Bela was a bit miffed about comments - lets say about his body size - made by some of the PSV anglers regarding the photo I took of him at Windmill Fishery. Since then Bela has been on a liquid only diet (Bela thinks draft Vodka is calorie free) and has ask me to post the picture right of his new body. Now please no comments such as "why is he so red" or "Where's his body hair" or "Why is he so shiny, is that baby lotions", otherwise he may get upset again and have to breathe out!

And finally Bela would now like to be referred to as Trev.

So first solids for some weeks for Bela - one of Diana's superb breakfasts. I even went for the large.

I was still in the league knock out and drew Shaun Townsend, beatable if he drew worse than me.

I didn’t mind where I drew today as long as it wasn’t Specimen Lake because the Carp have been educated to live and feed during the day over to the island at 16/17 metres further in some cases. If I were to draw Specimen then one of the four corners would be best as I can usually get close enough with the 13 meters. My preference would be the John Walters Lake (Third Lake) so arriving at the draw tin I guessed the Third Lake would be either at the top or bottom but thought I also risked Specimen Lake, so I went deep and peg drew peg 31 on Specimen Lake, a match winning peg if you are able to thrash 16 ½ metres around for six hours. I have stopped taking 17 metres as I know I might be tempted to try and use it only to regret it next day, as would have been the case today.

For company I had Chris Fox on end peg 32 and somewhere in the dense undergrowth to my left on peg 29 was Dave Evans. At last some dry warmer weather which I was going to enjoy with the surrounding wild life that live on the moors. Alas the fishery neighbour decided to do some serious work on his garden with a chain saw and strimmer for most of the day which was bloody annoying. I couldn’t quite decide which was the worse, the chain saw or Chris Fox continual moaning. We often hear that someone “moaned” a fish on, but for sure Chris moans them off.

As anticipated there were plenty of Carp tight over to the far end island corner. The plan was over the next three hours entice them to 13 metres to my waiting paste by heavy regular feeding of hard 4’s. In the meantime I would fish at 10 metres with the 4x14 Jolly feeding lightly for F1’s and anything else that might be interested in 2mm feed pellet and a 4mm semi-hard hook bait. In case I got bored I set up the Ronnie rig for caster over caster. Finally a 0.3 gram Barnett paste rig for down at 10 metres to platform 30.

I started at 10 metres but soon realised the day was going to be difficult due to the Ronnie’s liking the semi-hard. No fizz or any other signs of fish. So I kept feeding the two paste lines whilst I would play the Ronnie’s at there own game with the caster. I had a good 30 minutes catching Ronnie’s and Perch to 8oz. I even started to do the maths 7lb x 2 = 14lb per hour x 5 = 70lb!! That put the dampers on it I then struggled for the odd fish thinking perhaps a Carp had invaded, but not, it was the fact that the sun had come out and with flat calm conditions the Silvers shied away. So tried the 4x14 Jolly again as the 4mm might now stay on long enough to catch something bigger but it wasn’t to be as the float just sat there. Some fizz had started on the 13 meter line so in went the paste and I had my first Carp, well nearly a 10 pounder which came off at the net – lightly hooked I guessed. More and more feed (beginning to feel a bit “Two Pottish”) some more fizz and my first Carp and an 8 ponder in the net. I thought I had now tempted the Carp from their jungle, but not, as I was soon pestered by small fish nibbling the paste even though I kept feeding. I then spied a tail waving down on the platform so out went the paste and down went the float and I spent the next 20 minutes playing a near 20lb Common it was touch and go who tired first. Needless to say it didn’t fight much in the landing net. The upshot was I had four more decent fish losing one which may have been foul hooked. I should have gone down their earlier instead of waiting for the invitation.

My Silvers weighed 7lb 7oz and my Carp 47lb 11oz for a total of 55lb 2oz which was just good enough to beat Shaun who was on peg 25, so solace in getting through to the next round at Avalon. Shaun did a fair amount of cage fighting today losing 14 Carp!

The match was won once again by The Trig (pictured above with the Silvers winner) with 206lb 6oz from peg 19. The Trig caught at 16 metres ver to the corner of the island using pellet over pellet. As he said he caught enough to be first, second and third – again.

The Silvers was won by Alan Oram from peg 6 with 35lb 10oz of mainly Skimmers caught on various baits but kept a few extras coming using worm over sloppy GB.

The Match Lake was the place to draw today as the results show.

Full Result:

  1. Craig Edmonds 206-06-0 peg 19
  2. Neil Mercer 144-04-0 peg 1
  3. Paul Elmes 127-11-0 peg 18
  4. Joe Mc Mahon 126-03-0 peg 11
  5. Tony Rixon 113-05-0 peg 24
  6. Steve Tucker 108-13-0 peg 16
Top Silvers:

  1. Alan Oram 35-10-0 peg 6
  2. Ken Rayner 28-10-0 peg 21
  3. Matt Tomes 26-06-0 peg 7
Weigh Sheets:







































No comments: