Friday 17 June 2016

Tuesday 14/06/2016 - Acorn Fishery Open - Paddocks

Acorn fishery no longer does breakfasts so we all risked going to the road side van on the industrial Estate. I must say my bacon sandwich was very tasty and I didn’t get food poisoning. The weather had turned in very windy, raining and cold which didn’t look good for me as I had travelled with Geoff Francis and left most of my warm clothes in my car. Geoff came to the rescue with a warm top. I needn’t had worried because by the time we started the rain had stopped and it had warmed up some what but as per usual on the venue the wind was still with us.

I wanted a peg out of the wind and got one with ping-pong ball 37. The Sunday match was won from it on the paste fishing top-set plus one down to the right, so I set up a 0.4 gram paste float for the same and found I could hold up the plummet in about three foot of water. In case I set up a 4x10 Yoof for over at 12 metres and a 4x12 Jolly for short down the edge for caster over caster. I hadn’t been to the venue since this time last year and hadn’t realised there was no Silvers payout which is what I started out to catch on the caster, initially catching a small Carp. I then had a run of two Crucian’s and some small Perch. However, this soon dried up, so time to try the paste over kindered hard 4’s and …nothing and nothing. I couldn’t help noticing that the water colour around my swim was black; all I could think of it must be some sort of Algae but was for some reason limited to the few pegs around me – possibly due to influx of cold water and no wind – be careful what you wish for! I decided to go through the pain barrier and try across at 12 metres with maggot over maggot. The water looked a bit clearer there. After feeding a big pot of maggot the Carp were straight on it with tails flashing around. However, all I could do was foul hook them and soon after they would disappear. Re-feeding brought on the same performance.  After managing only to hook three Carp nearly in the mouth I retried the paste again to no avail. So back on the long pole where at least I was getting some sort of sport!! I finished the match in the margin and in the dying minutes managed just one foul hooker.

I finished the match with a meagre 19lb. It didn’t make any difference to me today, but always check if there is a Silvers pool.

The match was won by fellow holiday maker Martyn Woodington (pictured upper right with his catch) all the way up from Haywards Heath with 71lb 11oz from peg 1. In the short video below Martyn explains how he caught today.


Full Result:

  1. Martyn Woodington 71-11-0 peg 1
  2. Ryan Jordan 68-10-0 peg 5
  3. Tim Ford 59-10-0 peg 31
  4. Gabe Skarba 59-04-0 peg 34
  5. Eddie Wynne 52-12-0 peg 40
  6. Ray Beazley 52-04-0 peg 19
Weigh Sheets:

















No comments: