Thursday 9 June 2016

Thursday 09/06/2016 - Harescombe Cost Cutter - Match Lake

Toss up today Landsend or Harescombe. Harescombe won because I will be down at Landsend Sunday and due to committing to the Thursday Amalgamation eight match league I won’t be attending these matches as regular. The early sunrise got me up, so it was also early arrival at the venue in plenty of time, but never first, but I did beat matey Stuart Graham. The usual chit-chat during breakfast followed.

I don’t mind where I draw on this venue as you can get a days fishing from any peg and I mean any peg, Plus the match is rarely won from the same peg. First in to the draw bag and out comes peg 12 – AGAIN. So far this year I have drawn this peg twice, Peg 13 twice and peg 14 once (not the end peg this day)!! A little moan as I would like to draw another part of the Lake, preferably the far side.

Last time on the peg I did manage to sneak in to the coin. However, I have got problems with my knee – over doing the walking during last weeks holiday in Cornwall – Bude. So this time I decided not to set up the 13 metres to fish over as I rest the pole on my knee/leg, incorrectly thinking I could get coin by setting up just the two usual top-set rigs.

The upshot was that I didn’t catch my first F1 until an hour in, instead catching Silvers - Skimmers and Ronnie’s on meat over pellet. The short f1 line just wasn’t doing the business so spent the remainder of the match on the Yoof in the RH margin. I kept having the urge to set up the 13 metres but stuck to my guns. I was having plenty of bites and was sort of enjoying catching the Skimmers. After two hours it was clear that I was fishing for third place and after three hours just pride! It wasn’t until the last hour that a few F1’s put in an appearance, during this time I reckon I doubled my weight, but is was coupled with a bit of bad angling losing five F1’s trying to rush back in during the last twenty minutes. Strangely enough most of the F1’s were hooked well down their throats.

I finished the match with 20lb of Skimmers and 36lb 13oz of F1’s for a fifth overall total of 56lb 13oz. Compared with last match on the peg I fell 20lb short which is accounted for by previously fishing over at 13 meters. Umm.

The match was won by matey Stuart Graham (pictured right with some of his catching, including a 4lb F1) from peg 19. Stuart caught at 5 metres fishing bits of worm over caster, fished 12 inches deep. Stuart fed 3 pints of caster but found this insufficient as he slowed near the end due to lack of caster feed.

There is a very short video showing Stuart landing his 4lb F1.


Full Result:

  1. Stuart Graham 92-02-0 peg 19
  2. Terry Girdlestone 85-11-0 peg 2
  3. John Wood 75-04-0 peg 10
  4. Jock Liddell 64-02-0 peg 21
  5. Mike Nicholls 56-13-0 peg 12
  6. Martin Hook 55-08-0 peg 24
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: