Friday 17 June 2016

Sunday 12/06/2016 - Tony Rixon's Float Only - Round Two - Landsend Fishery - Specimen, Match and John Walters Lakes

Bit of a keep net shortage this morning because matey Martyn Woodington backed over them whilst laid out to dry. The first time he did it there wasn’t much damage, so after a quick inspection and moving them Martyn only went end did it again doing a proper job this time!! Fair play he did buy me two new once later in the week. Picture of the weeks disasters right.

Me and Gordon went off to Landsend Fishery for the Tony Rixon’s float only league where we met up with Tim Ford. Whilst Glenn, Geoff and Martyn went off to try their luck on the Summerhayes Open.

I must say the breakfast is very good at this fishery probably because it’s cooked by proper housewives. Trigger was in the cafĂ© but was suffering after a late night out, not returning home until 5am (pictured right in recovery mode). The question was had we handicapped Trig enough for him not to win again?

As per usual I was hoping to avoid Specimen Lake, preferring John Walters Lake. In to the draw tin and out comes peg 19 on Match Lake. No emotions here, that said it has a reputation as a long pole slayers peg. I had a chat with Tom Thick (it’s amazing what a good woman can do to a man). Tom has just taken over as Manager at Thatcher’s Tackle in Wells. Tom thought I might catch some Silvers down the LH side by the tree and some F1’s (which count as Silvers on this venue) at 13 metres and Carp down the RH side.

For company I had Gary O’Shea on peg 18 and Nick Chedzoy on peg 21 so a Thatcher sandwich.

I erected a 4x14 Jolly to fish semi-hards and 6mm meat and a Barnett 0.3 gram paste float for the RH side and finally a 4x12 Jolly for caster down to the tree – 12 inches form the platform!!

I started and continued to loose feed caster down the left fed some meat at top-set plus two and 10 micro at 10 metres which is where I started with semi-hards. I caught a few small Carp fairly quickly but this soon slowed and it was soon apparent that my section (pegs 24 to 20) was fishing hard. Subsequently a few Skimmers arrived but for some unknown reason I was missing bites – suspected liners. It was time to try the caster which had an instant response from Perch from 2oz to 12oz. I did hook one between 2 and 3lb which I pinged out of – bugger. I did have a 2lb Skimmer there but interestingly no Ronnie’s which I was expecting. Out went the 13 metre pole to torture my lower back but hopefully catch some F1’s, so kindering 10 grains of micro with semi-hards I hooked a small Carp followed by an F1. Again I was missing bites so switched to 6mm hook bait but still feeding small amounts of micro. This worked well for the F1’s adding six on the trot before I had another small Carp (the Carp normally average 6-7 lbs on this Lake). I reckon it was between me and Gary O’Shea for the section until Nick had six decent carp on the bounce, but I thought it would be close because I hooked and landed (eventually) a 14 pound Carp on paste over the caster line. I switch sides because the RH produced nothing over the paste. I needed some hindsight about now because I stayed on the paste for the last half hour adding just one more Skimmer whereby it might had been better if I tried for some more F1’s.

My Silvers weighed 20lb and my Carp 39lb 15oz for a total of 59lb 15oz. This put me second in section behind Nick and one out of the Silvers by 3lb. So a double “One Out” today!

The question was answered we hadn’t handicapped trig nearly enough drawing peg 34 on Specimen Lake he smashed the match with another near triple ton. Remarkable. Trig explains how he caught in the short video below.

The Silvers was won by John Fuidge with 26lb 8oz from Match Lake peg 1. John caught on caster.

After he match Bela Bakos and Shaun Townsend went on Duck rescue. A Mallard had got caught in the brambles on the far bank of empty peg 14, so Shaun got the fishery boat and you can see what happen next in the video below – following on from Trigger.


And the Summerhayes group faired well today:
Martyn Woodington – 3rd – 69lb 1oz
Glenn Bailey – 4th – 66lb 9oz
Geoff Francis – 38lb 8oz

Full Result:














Weigh Sheets:






















No comments: