Thursday 25 February 2016

Thursday 25/02/2016 - Coffin Dodgers - Silvers League - Round Four - Windmill Fishery - Match Lake

The forth match in this league and the fourth heavy frost. That said better than the wind and rain of recent days. Luckily the Lake wasn’t frozen, plus the water had retained some colour.

Our turn in section D. Apparently Paul Barnfield couldn’t make it today, shame I as I have enjoyed his company in the section. However,recently retired Bin Man Shaun Putney deputised for him. His drawing arm was as good as Barny’s, pulling end peg 28. For me I drew peg 24 in between two Dave’s. In my section on my left was Dave “Hacker” Wride, the poor fellow had a horrendous never ending hacking cough. Dave Willmott on peg 23 was the first peg in C section, an angler I haven’t seen for twenty plus years standing in for holiday maker John Smith, nice to see Dave making a come back - watch out.

I didn’t mind where I drew in this section (excluding the end peg). I set up the usual Ronnie rig, but unusually set up a small waggler on the 4 metre Drennan whip, finally a 4x18 Jolly to fish at 9 and 10 metres in 9 foot of water.

The bait tray was a bit barren even for me, live red maggot and GB – simple.

I fed the both the Ronnie line and the 9 metre line with GB laced with maggot, starting on the Ronnie rig with 0.12 G-Line to a 20- Tubertini 808 hook. I caught Ronnie’s well during the first hour albeit they were very tiny. I kept trying the 9 metre line with the same terminal tackle and caught the same size Ronnie’s which was too slow at that distance. All too soon the Ronnie’s became difficult to catch with finicky bites – suspected marauding Carp.

Had a go on the whip with maggot over loose fed maggot and had another run of small Ronnie’s on the drop – until I hooked a Carp which I didn’t see with it breaking 0.1 G-Line. After a top up I tried the 9 metre line and low and behold I had four Skimmers in the same number of put in’s. As quickly as I got exited the Skimmers and everything else disappeared from my peg. For the last hour it was a struggle adding just a few ounces to the net.

Dave Wride had been catching similarly to me plus he had his third Tench in this league. I knew it was close between us but was worried about the size of that bonus Tench.

I weighed 9lb 3oz to pip Dave for the section win by 5oz. This also put me second overall. Another very enjoyable day at this fishery.

The match was won by Tony Rixon (pictured right) with 11lb 7oz from peg 6. Tony caught on various baits including soft pellet… see his blog for the details.

Section Payout:


Weight Sheet:


No comments: