Thursday 28 January 2016

Thursday 28/01/2016 - Coffin Dodgers Silvers League - Round Two - Windmill Fishery - Match Lake

My head is usually filled with fishing next and future match, but not at present, it’s all filled with kitchen, which I am currently refurbishing. The fishing kit was half heartily readied.

First stop the Beefeater for breakfast. No roofers or scaffolders in here at £8.99!!

As we are rotating sections it was our turn in B section. The end peg 9 would be good. First to pick and end peg was mine. For me it was a double edge sword. I knew this end of the Lake tended to be predominately small Ronnie’s with plenty of Carp. Even though we had an overnight frost after a spell of high temperatures and rain there was plenty of colour in the Lake. So I was hoping the Ronnie’s would oblige as I suspected that if I fished long with semi- hard pellet for the Skimmers I might out get Carped-out. On next peg 8 was Mr Personality Dave Wride.

So I set up three rigs – The Ronnie rig, a 4x16 Jolly with 0.12 hook length with a size 20 – 808 hook to be fished at 9 metres in 6 foot of water at 2- o clock with single maggot over GB laced with maggot. Finally a 4x16 Jolly with 0.14 hook length with a number 18 – 808 hook to fish 4mm semi-hards at 10 metre out in front over micro – I expected this to snare Carp and not the sought after Skimmers.

I fed all three lines - Ronnie line maggot in GB, same for the short/long line and wetted micro on the long line.

I started on single wriggling red maggot and thankfully was soon catching small Ronnie’s from ½ oz to 2 oz. The wind was strong as usual on this fishery and because I was fishing down wind the float was towing back towards me, which was OK. After 15 minutes Dave Wride landed a decent Tench followed quickly by a Crucian, so it was catch up for me. Paul Barnfield on peg 7 was quiet so guessed he wasn’t catching. I tried the short/long line with single maggot and was catching the same size fish as on the Ronnie rig. Where there are small fish in abundance they will get to the bait before the bigger stand-off fish. I tried the semi hard on the longer line which also resulted in small Skimmers and Ronnie’s and as expected Carp. I landed three 7 pounders and four 4oz Mirrors on the pellet. I decided to abandon all the long line especially as the wind was picking up. However, I kept feeding the long line with wetted micro to stop the Carp straying onto the Ronnie line which I decide to fish out to the end of the match feeding the laced GB every 45 minutes. I had bites most of the rest of the match and during the last 45 minutes had two decent Skimmers, plus the Ronnie’s got bigger.

I finished the match with 12lb 2oz for a section win and second overall (catch pictured upper right). I thoroughly enjoyed the match.

The match was won by the man that doesn’t need an introduction pictured right who snared 14lb from peg 25… see his blog for the intricate and piss taking details.

Back to the pub after where my dry January ended!

Full Result:

A Section - Steve Dawson 6-15-0 peg 4
B Section – Mike Nicholls 12-02-0 peg 9
C Section – John Barker 3-08-0 peg 22
D Section – Tony Rixon 14-0-0 peg 25

Weigh Sheet:


No comments: