Friday 1 January 2016

Review of 2015

January: In between the Viaduct Winter League dates I planned to revisit Hillview Fishery because the daft 200-300lb winning weights would have reduced to something more sensible of around 100lb. The first match they included an optional Silvers Pool which I willingly entered. I won my section and the Silvers alas they haven’t ran another Silvers pool since, it’s a shame because there are some lovely Roach and Skimmers to be caught here. At least I was able to get in on the photograph with the venue expert Neville Groves. With Tony Rixon having changed jobs he switched his midweek matches to a Thursday and chose Emerald fishery – Sapphire and Ruby Lakes. The weather always seemed to be crap when we fished these matches, but the fishing was good with plenty of small Carp to be caught plus decent Roach which I targeted. The Roach here don’t themselves up easily. My Silvers weight gradually increased after every match. Luckily I had Glenn Bailey as company and was able to share the driving. The BAA Silvers Thursday league also started.

February: Although I started the Viaduct winter League I only managed to fish the first three matches because I developed Pneumonia and had an enforced lay-off but was determined to see the BAA Silvers League against the Special Ones advice (and fool hardy). I was still having a few trips to Hillview View and Emerald Fishery with Glenn Bailey. I was blind paired with Dave Bacon in the BAA Silvers League. The first two matches I did well, midway we both had a bad one, and then Dave pulled it together in the last two matches dragging us up to third overall and last in the money. Emerald was also proving lucky with Glenn picking up regularly in the overall and myself winning the Silvers.

March: Silverfox Team faired much better in the Viaduct Winter League this year beating Avon Angling, mainly due to Leon Hubbard and Gordon Cannings efforts. I have now retired from this League with Tom Mangnall taking my place; we have also strengthened the team with the addition of Adrian Jeffery who has all the qualifications needed to be a Silverfox. Glenn and I continued our visits to Hillview because we were enjoying the company and the fishing. I had the pleasure of watching the Hillview wizard – Trevor “Top Kit” King (pictured right) win a match on Canal 3 – interesting, especially for me as Terry fishes very short.

April: Tony Rixon had bit the bullet and switched the Thursday matches at Avalon Fishery which Glenn and I choose to fish. Again it was a similar pattern to Emerald Fishery with Glenn regularly picking up in the overall and me picking up in the Silvers. I was still visiting Hillview Fishery and returned occasionally to Ivy House. The BAA Silver League came to end with Dave Wride winning the league and myself finishing joint 6th with Tony Rixon. I didn’t really enjoy the league much because the fishing was terribly patchy. The BAA Over 55’s matches started in April fishing three matches in which I struggled to catch in all three. No Carp, because most of them had been removed. Tony’ short pole (top-set plus three) match series started at Chiltern trinity on Woodlands. I started well winning the match with 117lb 9oz.

May: I managed to get Son Steve out fishing on a Saturday choosing Ivy House. Both of us intending to fish for the Silvers. The upshot was that Steve narrowly beat me on the Silvers; lucky for him getting home I won the match! First trip down to Landsend Fishery with Bela and found ourselves looking at each other from pegs 13 and 11. I had a tremendous last hour adding some big Carp winning the match with 159lb 13oz; Bela came third with 142lb 8oz, so another happy van. Another first since the Viaduct winter League – a Thursday Cost Cutter I drew peg 114 and won the match with 233lb 12oz again adding 100lb + in the last hour using half a top-set, my highest overall weight of the year. I have to confess I was a tad jealous of Steve Longs Silvers winning catch of 58lb. I paid another visit to the Bridge Pool at Dave Crookes Fishery in the Over 55’s. Once again it generally fished patchy weighing a miserable 4lb 8oz. This fishery was my favourite venue, not minding where I drew. The venue has gradually declined over the last few years. I decided to make this the last match here and look elsewhere. I also decided not to fish the 2016 BAA Silvers League. Luckily there is going to one running at Windmill Fishery. I drew well again in the Tony’s short pole match at Chiltern Trinity Woodlands coming 3rd overall.

June: This is my favourite month because of our fishing holiday at Viaduct. Some new faces this year – Gordon Cannings and Geoff Francis put in a visit – unfortunately Mark Tanner appears to be “loved-up” preferring Le Mans instead. The month started with Tony’s float only at Viaduct and although I really fancied my draw peg 116 the wind proved all wrong with me and Alan Oram struggling on adjacent pegs – not a good start to the league. Bela and I returned to Ivy House and had a double pick-up with Bela thrashing himself to first overall and me winning the Silvers. Tony’s float only at Landsend didn’t go to plan on reflection I didn’t feed enough. A trip to Acorn and I drew a peg 34 which was solid with small Carp, unfortunately they were all spawning and I had a right frustrating match, not catching them in the mouth until the last two hours. Glenn “Top Pots” won the match. I ran a short pole match at Viaduct on Campbell and it fished exceptionally well, with once again “Two Pots” winning the match (I am running two short pole matches in June 2016 – Saturday and a Wednesday). Back to Ivy House catching my highest Silvers weight of the year 40lb 14oz – all Ronnie’s, which was only good enough for second in the Silvers as Gary Etheridge beat me with 56lb 10oz which would had been higher had Gary had more than one tin of corn. June was the start of the Amalgamation winter league fished at the Sedges Fishery, we were to alternate between the Canal and Tile Lake. We started on the Canal and I was impressed with the venue as it suited my style, winning the Silvers with 22lb 12oz consisting of ten species of Silvers. 

July: I bought myself a 13 metre Drennan Acolyte Carp pole plus the 9 metre Margin pole with all sections interchanging a real bonus. It’s an excellent pole suiting my purposes. A made a couple of fruitless visits to Viaduct Fishery this month trying to qualify for the Silver all winners just getting pipped in to second or third. Back to Landsend for Tony’s Float Only, my prayers were answered when I drew Walters Lake, best match so far winning the Lake but wouldn’t contribute towards any league coin. Back to Chiltern Trinity – Woodlands for Tony’s short pole League. I drew well again winning the match. So three section first I was doing well, but sat on my shoulder was Trigger, who was having a great run of wins. Another of Tony’s Float only league this time at Ivy House. I didn’t draw that well but managed a section second. I missed the Tile Lake match in the Amalgamation League so it was back on the Canal, another enjoyable day catching both Silvers and Carp for a 2nd and 2nd. Back to Viaduct for a Cost Cutter match which was well attended due to fifty Firemen practicing for their national match on the Saturday. At last I qualified for the Silvers all winners final, primarily due mostly, if not all the anglers fishing for Carp.

August: Tony’s float only moved to Sedges Fishery I drew a good Silvers peg but it wasn’t until the dying hour that the big Skimmers started to feed how many times does this happen. Back again to Sedges on Tile Lake for the Amalgamation League I drew next to matey Dave Bacon with Dave winning the match and me winning the Silvers with all Ronnie’s. Last round of Tony’s Short pole Match at Chiltern Trinity – Woodlands I thought I had drawn well, but had Trigger in my section on a good peg the upshot was I blew it only catching four big Carp late on, but had done enough to remain in second place, can’t complain I had four good draws and picked up every match – well done Trig. Back on the Sedges Canal in the Amalgamation League this time with “Two Pots” who drew the flyer peg 64 and won the match I again won the Silvers. Bela, Two Pots and me fished an open on Viaducts Carey Lake what was interesting was that Bela won the match and Two Pots was second, alas Two Pots chucked back some Skimmers to free up another keepnet enough escapees we think to have won the match. Tony Rixon and I found a replacement venue for the BAA matches on a Thursday – Harescombe Fishery and what a fishery it is really suiting short pole fishing. We both have enjoyed good results here.

September: Back to Sedges Fishery - Tile Lake a strange match working hard for five hours catching Ronnie’s for 22lb then in the last hour landed 14 Carp for 115lb. Next match was back on the Canal with Two Pots and it was a repeat of previous. With trips to Landsend, Avalon and Harescombe I decided to give the local venue Windmill Fishery another try and must say I had a great day on the Silvers winning the Silvers with 22lb 10oz Bela and I decided that we would be going back again soon. Back down to Sedges with Two Pots and I drew really well - peg 21 in the corner, that said it is a method feeder peg and as I don’t/can’t fish that way I thought I might struggle and I did, again that said I didn’t fish it well on the pole either. Two Pots winning again.

October: The first match was the Viaducts All Winners Final with Bela and Two Pots who drew well, the draw leaving me on the right Lake but peg 129 one below the spit. Not a winning peg I thought but on hindsight it could have been closer. Why is when the pay out are much bigger anglers think they have to feed proportionately larger amounts, young Greenwood next to me on the other side of the spit was blasting pellet all match feeding 10 pints this didn’t help me and helping Chris Davis next peg to him even less. I later thought if I had anglers next to me of similar minds I might have got closer to the winning weight. I did win my section as did Bela and Two pots. The match was won by Craig “Trigger” Edmonds – who else at the moment (still waiting for that fish and chip supper that was promised). The final match of the Amalgamation League at Sedges Fishery was on the Canal which had been fishing hard finishing fourth overall and second in the Silvers. The League fish-off was won my John Osborne – well deserved. A few trips to Harescombe and Windmill Fishery proved to be rewarding. Next was the Viaduct All Winners Silvers Final. I drew well on Carey peg 100. The problem I have with Viaduct this time of year the fish generally move out of my reach which proved today. On reflection and with some advise from Gabe who was on next peg 99 coming second overall I might have got closer to the main money only managing a section third.

November: I spent the whole of November fishing either Harescombe or Windmill Fisheries I did have one trip to Ivy House all being productive.

December: Likewise I spent the whole of December fishing Harescombe and Windmill fisheries again being very productive. If anyone had any doubts about Global warming and its effects these were dispelled during this month with high temperatures up to 16 degrees. High winds and heavy rain.  I think it spurred on the Paris summit climate change talks.


I lost two great Angling friends this year – Dave Crookes and Dave Bacon. The latter being well known on the local match angling circuit plus he had a tackle shop in Bath. Dave Crookes may well be mainly remembered for his years of loyal service to Bathampton Angling Association as General Secretary. However, I will remember him firstly as a great angler. Example fishing next to him in a winter league on Kelston straight, the flow here is forced over to the far side by the point peg Dave knowing this fished a Crow Quill within six foot of the far bank and was catching Roach regularly to win the section – some cast and line control left a long lasting an impression on me. RIP Dave’s.

The Facts and Figures behind 2015:

I like playing with numbers especially if they a £ sign in front. The figures remain fairly consistent over the years without any significant dropping off of anglers and results.

1 comment:

stuart barnett said...

Impressive figures Mike