Thursday 3 December 2015

Thursday 03/12/2015 - Harescombe Fishery - Cost Cutter - Match Lake

Travelled today with the Carpenter that owns the van (pictured right), I wasn’t permitted to mention his name as he was having a sneaky practice before his Christmas match in Saturday. Tony Rixon was missing today apparently he has the Sh1t’s, sat home all day on his thumb.

We had the usual warm welcome from End Peg Price, cooking our breakfast. Well done to Andy and his team Lobby’s for nicking both first overall on the day and team overall in the upper Thames Winter League. Must have upset a few teams coming up from third!! Well deserved I think.

Fourteen fishing today, including float entrepreneur - Wozzy - Stewart Barnett.  We are all waiting for the closing down sale when he moves back from Wales to Ozz!

Why is there so many ways to spell Stewart? Stuart Graham went into the draw bag hoping to avoid his resident peg 29 – no chance. I went in and ended up on corner peg 30 next to Stu (name fits all) a peg I had fished before. No emotion as at least I would be out of the gales force winds and heavy rain which didn’t materialise. In fact it was a proper global warming day.

Initially two swims, the RH margin to float a 4x10 Yoof and a line at top-set plus two (with a third section for ballast and quicker shipping) for the usual 4x14 Jolly.

Fed the LH margin with pellet as I did the Jolly line where I started with 6mm meat hook bait and caught F1’s straight away. The swim had a peculiar tow in towards and to the right difficult to tempt them holding back and running , so it was a question of holding a let run for a little way then hold back kicking the hook bait up which got me the bite I wanted. I did catch a couple of proper Carp to 2lb before the swim died for unexplainable reasons. I spied some colouring up in the RH margin (with the bare bank) so what did I do, feed it with maggot – why? I can’t help myself. Tried both margins and only managed a Gudgeon from the RH side on maggot. It was time to switch the Jolly line to within loose feeding maggot range which for me was top-set to the LH side at 10 o clock. The presentation was much better with regards to tow. I had a good run of F1’s plus the usual couple of Barbel. I decided to abandon the LH margin instead favouring the RH side where I continued to dribbled maggot. It wasn’t until the last 45 minutes that I focussed on the RH margin and had a run of big F1’s and three proper Carp.

I thought I might have 40lb but weighed 48lb 2oz for a narrow win over Stu on peg 29 (catch pictured upper right).

Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 48-02-0 peg 30
  2. Stuart Graham 43-02-0 peg 29
  3. Alan Oram 33-0-0 peg 17
  4. Roy Liddell 31-10-0 peg 21
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: