Thursday 5 November 2015

Thursday 05/11/2015 - Harescombe Cost Cutter - Match Lake

Tony Rixon is running a match at Harescombe on Sunday this time on Field Lake shown right. Plus at the bottom of the page is a video starring Andy Price explaining the match rules.

The weather forecast wasn’t good with rain more or less all day. However, the temperature was well up n the teens, plus the rain was fairly light at least until the last hour.
Into the draw bag with only three counters left and out comes peg 21. Not pulled the same peg yet! The peg is ¾ up the far bank. No emotions. For company on my left I had Stuart Barnett the other side was Jon Fuidge.

Setting up I realised I had left my roller home; luckily Rod Wotton came to the rescue. Thanks matey. Also luckily I had a spare pair of glasses!

The water looked clear so I wasn’t expecting a very high winning weight, so decided to take it steady with the feed. On the bait tray was half pint casters (last weeks), half pint of meat, half pint of wetted micro, Corn and semi-hard pellets, more than usual. However, the rigs were the same – 4x10 Yoof for margins and over to the far bank if needs be and the 4x14 jolly to fish at top-set plus one out in front.

Initially I fed the up wind RH margin with caster which I really didn’t fancy because the presentation wasn’t going to be that good, and the LH down wind margin with pellet my banker. Thirdly I fed micro out in front where I intended to start.

Starting on the Jolly with 6mm meat I had a run of five F1’s before the swim completely died, time to re-feed which didn’t have the impact I was hoping for, just one more F1. I decided to put on an extra section taking me to top-set plus two and re-fed micro. Absolutely no response umm. I persevered with this line trying various baits lined up on my tray – no serious response. In fact I stayed here too long. I tried the banker LH margin with various baits – nothing. Time to fish for anything that swims so on went a single caster in to the RH margin where I had and continued to lightly feed caster. I also kept lightly feeding the LH margin. On the caster I had two big Perch and Barbel plus the occasional F1. Once again I outstayed the margin, because when in the last 45 minutes  I switched to meat over the pellet in the LH margin I started to bag big time, adding half my total weight – bugger (or not) who knows.

I weighed 69lb 2oz for second overall. Could I have got another 6lb, I would like to think so that is if I could develop hindsight.

The match was won by Adrian Jeffery (pictured right) with 74lb 12oz from end peg 15. Adrian caught shallow with 6mm hard pellet fished up towards the end margin.

Full Result:

  1. Adrian Jeffery 74-12-0 peg 15
  2. Mike Nicholls 69-02-0 peg 21
  3. Martin Hook 50-14-0 peg 7
Weigh Sheet:




















No comments: