Wednesday 14 October 2015

Wednesday 14/10/2015 - Amalgamation Summer League - Final Round - Sedges Canal

Two Pots child minding today so on my own for the last match of the series. My usual stop for breakfast in Misery Guts Café.

 Arriving at the fishery the talk was how bad the Canal was fishing with seven DNW’s in Monday’s match, most coming from the top end – so area to avoid. I have yet to draw the near end, so far not getting passed halfway.


 The Sedges open match was on Brick Lake today and Bob Price wisely decided to fish that rather than the Canal. Good choice as he won the match with 90lb on bread on the lead and down his RH margin. I can just make him out on peg 8 (pictured above).

Andy Smith runs the league on similar lines to the Parkdean Masters in that the top twelve in the overall league fish off for the overall prize money on the last match being shared between overall and Silvers.

In to the draw letter box and out comes peg 57 – top end and second time I have drawn this peg - bugger. I was hoping it would be end peg today, alas not that was reserved for matey Pete Greenslade.

Arriving at the peg I spied some bubbles coming up over the far bank (pictured right). Interesting enough I had the same last time I fished it so I wasn’t going after fool’s gold this time. I set up two rigs a 4x16 Yoof to fish the near and far bank which was only 10 metres away, and a 4x14 Jolly to fish at 5 metres.

The Canal was so clear that the Yoof proved unproductive. So I spent all match on the one 5 metre line. I decided to keep the feed down by kindering a few wetted micros in and with a 4 semi-hard on the 16 – 808 hook; I thought 5 minutes was well long enough without any indication so swapped to single perky red maggot. I was soon dropping off small Ronnie’s before I landed a 4oz Skimmer. Next put in I had a 4lb Common Carp which no doubt unsettled the silver fish as it took an age to catch another Skimmer. The upshot was the predictions were right – it fished hard. I spent the odd hour fishless catching the odd Skimmer plus one bonus 1lb Barbel.

My lonesome Carp weighed in at 4lb 3oz and my Silvers 6lb 1oz for a total of 11lb 1oz, which was good enough for second Silvers and fourth overall.

The match was won by John Osborne (pictured above right) with 16lb 15oz from peg 46.John caught on either hard or soft expander pellet fished at 11.65 metres ¾ across.

The Silvers was won by John Barker (pictured right) with a credible 13lb 3oz from his favourite peg 48.

Well done to both sharing the overall spoils.

 Full Result:

  1. John Osborne 16-15-0 peg 46
  2. John Barker 13-03-0 peg 48
  3. Mark Bellringer 11-05-0 peg 42
  4. Mike Nicholls 11-01-0 peg 57
  5. Alan Jones 9-14-0 peg 64
  6. Dave Bacon 4-15-0 peg 44
Top Silvers:

  1. John Barker  13-03-0 peg 48
  2. Mike Nicholls 6-14-0 peg 57
Weigh Sheets:




















No comments: