Sunday 11 October 2015

Sunday - 11/10/2015 - Windmill Fishery Open - Match Lake

On my own again today because Bela is fishing the Stafford Moor Autumn Festival which starts tomorrow, hoping he will better is 7th overall last years result – best of luck matey. I still went for breakfast in the Beefeater – excellent.

I arrived in plenty of time to have a walk around the venue (pictured above). During my travels met up with the Fishery Manger Terry Boulton who was being taken for walk by his dog (pictured right).

After the draw preliminaries (Video bottom) it was into the draw box and out comes peg (pictured right I need to do this now because by the time I get near the peg I have forgotten the number!). Apparently a good margin peg with a few munters lurking beneath. For company I had to my left Dave Haines and to my right Glen Bailey.

I set up the usual three rigs – Skimmer 4x12 Jolly up the shelf in 6 foot of water, Ronnie rig shallow and Carp paste in RH margin, I would have preferred the LH margin but due to the chilly NE wind blowing left to right it wouldn’t be possible.


I started on the Jolly with semi- hards over kindered hard 4’s whilst loose feeding the same in to the margin in 3 foot of water. I started well and after about an hour I had 12 lb of Silvers manly Skimmers to 1 ½ lb and six nice Crucian’s. I then got distracted by a swirl in the margin so went in with the paste and had a 10 pound Mirror first try. Next put in another 10 pounder. I then made a mistake of abandoning the Silvers line instead persevering with the Carp. It took what seemed an age to catch the next two Carp. But that’s how the match developed – catch two then a long wait – bit like buses. I stopped loose feeding and switched to kindering because my feeding accuracy was being disrupted by the wind.

I did have another distraction – the Vulcan Bomber did a fly past I tried to get at the camera but sadly missed it – its last flight too – bugger.

In pairs I landed 12 carp which weighed 80lb 4oz (pictured right) and my Silver weighed 12lb 14oz. This put me first overall and second in the Silvers.

The Silvers was won by Mike Wilson (pictured right with the match winner) with 14lb 4oz from peg 24.

Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 93-02-0 peg 32
  2. Dave Haines 64-08-0 peg 3
  3. Gerry Walsh 40-06-0 peg 8
  4. Norman Ferris 35-0-0 peg 26
  5. Jon Clark 34-04-0 peg 22
  6. John Osborne 32-08-0 peg 6
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Wilson 14-04-0 peg 24
  2. Mike Nicholls 12-14-0 peg 32
Weigh Sheet:



No comments: