Sunday 4 October 2015

Sunday - 04/10/2015 - Windmill Fishery - Open - Match Lake

No Bela today – out courting. Only takes me 15 minutes to get to this fishery and with a 09:00 draw I was able to have a lay in, which was welcome after getting home from yesterday’s match at 20:00. However, Bela and I did stop for a fish and chip supper in Shepton to thin down our winnings.

It was the first time since last winter that the 4 degree car warning light came on – just the start of the winter to come. However, the sun was soon out warming us up.

I really enjoyed my last visit so was hoping for the same again. Standing in the car park having a natter I heard someone say “Here’s Glen Bailey” I spun round to see the more handsome version pictured right.

In to the draw box and out comes peg 22. There were three golden pegs worth £100 each Bob Price was the only one to draw a goldy.

Got to the peg and was relieved that the sun was off my back. I decided to apply some of the learning from last match. I set up a 4x12 Jolly to fish in 5 ½ foot of water up the inside shelf which was top set plus ¼ of the number three section for fishing semi- hards for the Skimmers. I set up the Ronnie rig to fish over the Jolly line but with casters. No more on this one as the casters stayed in the bag, finally a 0.15 PC paste float for the LH margin in amongst the Bull Rushes.

I started on the semi-hard which became nearly hards due to the sun which I fished on the Jolly over hard loose fed/also kindered 4’s. I was straight into a small Skimmer then a 5lb Common Carp. And that’s how this line fished a few Skimmers to 2lb interrupted by the occasional Carp. All the while I was feeding hard 4’sin the margin, but stayed on the Jolly until the last two hours when I tried the paste and because there wasn’t any Silver fish nibbling I knew there were Carp around. And they were. I added a good few Carp to 8lb taking the tally to 20 before the all out.

My Silvers weighed 17lb 6oz and my Carp 97lb 1oz for a total of 114lb 7oz. which was enough to win both the match and the Silvers (a typical average Windmill Carp pictured right)

The default Silvers winner was Bill Ferris (pictured right fishing on after the match practicing the method feeder – cripes - spending too much time with Bib Price).

Credit where credit is due this has become an excellent close venue - I will be back.

Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 114-07-0 peg 22
  2. Steve Jefferies 55-02-0 peg 1
  3. Gerry Welsh 51-05-0 peg 20
  4. Bob Price 46-07-0 Golden peg 13
  5. Dave Haines 43-15-0 peg 3
  6. Chris Gay 39-06-0 peg 29
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 17-06-0 peg 22
  2. Bill Ferris 12-08-0 peg 26
Weigh Sheet:



No comments: