Thursday 17 September 2015

Thursday 17/09/2015 - Tony Rixon Cost Cutter - Avalon Fishery - Match Lake

Two Pots driving today and arrived 6 minutes late. Drive to Shipham café took us through Chew Magna to the Airport and down the A38. Steady easy drive - nearly. Café was unusually quiet. We arrived at the fishery 15 minutes before the draw.

In to the draw bag and out comes peg 1. As most of the anglers lucky enough to be walking to the other end of the Lake pointed out that at least the walk was short!

I remember Tony Rixon saying that when he drew the peg a few weeks back he wished he had fished for Silvers. No brainer for me. I set up a 4x16 Jolly finding that the peg is about a foot shallower than most of the other pegs I have fished, thinking I could get away with a 4x14, but stuck to the bigger float. This Lake is unusual in that it is near enough the same depth per peg two inches form the bank to the other bank, so no real margin to speak of. However, I suspect if I could fish 16 metres down to the end bank I might have found a more fishable margin. I also set up the Ronnie rig but was doubtful that the Ronnie’s would feed.

Whilst sorting the bait I spill some water on to the semi-hard 4’s making most of them mushy. Luckily I could pick out a few to start with and luckily the sun came out drying out some more. I thought I would do the Ronnie test and was soon convinced I was right; they weren’t coming out to play. So on to the Skimmer line starting by fishing at 10 o clock at top-set plus 3 with semi-hards over micro. As expected I was soon in to a foul hooked Carp which wasn’t on long. I then had a run of small Skimmers and Hybrids before hooking an enormous Carp which bored me to a stand still, I have to confess that when it surfaced trying to swim through my keepnets the heart started race it was near 20lb than 15lb, I suddenly wanted to land it, alas not the hook pulled trying to tip his head upwards. I did land two small Carp soon after.

I had the usual visit from the Gimp who was struggling to catch Silvers. With two hours to go I had another visitor, this time Ziggy from peg 5. He said that he was top Silver weight with 15lb with Tony Rixon having switched from trying to catch Silvers to Carp. I started to smell blood so switched to top-set plus one which was a distance I could now loose feed. I had a good run of small hybrids to 6 oz on semi-hards plus a few bonus bigger Skimmers. I kept them coming until the heavens opened up drowning me for the second consecutive day.

My two tiny Carp weighed 5lb and my Silvers 26lb 8oz for second in the Silvers loosing put to Tony who had switched to catching Carp … on worm!!!

The match was won by Two Pots (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 172lb 12 oz from peg 20. Glenn caught on paste over soaked 4’s at 13 metres. His weight was made up of just 24 fish.

The Silvers was won by Tony Rixon (pictured right) with 34lb 5oz from peg 16…see his blog for further details.

Full Result:

  1. Glenn Bailey 172-12-0 peg 20
  2. Mike West 134-12-0 peg 9
  3. Gary Flinders 129-07-0 peg 23
Top Silvers:

  1. Tony Rixon 34-05-0 peg 16
  2. Mike Nicholls 26-08-0 peg 1
  3. Ziggy 17-0-0 peg 5
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: