Sunday 27 September 2015

Sunday 27/09/2015 - Windmill Fishery Open - Match Lake

Because Bela is having back problems we decided to fish locally at Windmill Fishery. The problem was to find a somewhere to breakfast. I asked around without success, I then remembered that the Travelodge hotels had breakfast facilities with the Beefeater. So goggled it and found that the Beefeater at Emerson Green was open for breakfast from 07:00, perfect as it is 5 minutes from home and the fishery. We arrived at 07:30 and ordered our breakie which took about 15 minutes to arrive; in the meantime Bela was working out how to use the toaster, Duh! I have to say that the breakfast was worth every penny at £8 – All Bela could eat-ish – but he didn’t feel sick. Best tasting breakie I have had for at least 3 months which was also a Beefeater, but don’t eat there at night!!

Of course we arrived early and had a look around. It looks as if some of the Lakes need some TLC and another 3 foot of water. The Match Lake also needs a top up but looked OK.

Shaun Townsend told me last week he had caught 30lb of Skimmers pleasure fishing on caster. So I decided to target Skimmers where ever I drew – not that I know the water as it is the only second time I have fished it.

In to the draw box and out comes peg 6 – no emotions except I was next to Trev who was on peg 8.

Because the water lever is well down I set up the seatbox in front of the platform. – Unsatisfactory as over the six hours I gradually sunk forward.

I set up a 4x14 Jolly to fish at 7meres at 11 o clock into the skimming wind. This was a catch all rig to fish semi-hards and caster over wetted micro and caster, followed by the Ronnie rig to fish at top-set plus one down wind to the right with caster over caster.

I fed the 7 metres line with half a pot of micro, starting on the Ronnie rig with caster over caster on the top set. I was pleasantly surprised how many Ronnie’s were feeding – one a chuck on single caster. After an hour and about 6lb in keeping I had a go on the semi-hards over the 7 metre line and caught Skimmers from 2oz to 1lb consistently. I stayed on this line until the last 40 minutes catching Crucian’s to 1lb and Ronnie’s up to 1lb. On the 40 minutes I noticed some caster air bubbles coming up over the Ronnie line so I set up a 0.3 gram PC paste rig set to 3 foot and caught seven Carp before the all out.

My Silvers weighed 22lb 10oz (pictured right with my catch) for first in the pool and my seven Carp weighed 30 lb for a fifth overall eight of 52lb 10oz. Just being piped by Bela for fourth spot who was in agony after the match with his back.


The match was won by Kevin Jefferies (pictured upper centre with the runner up (on the golden peg - unlucky) and the Silvers winner) with 103lb from peg 24. Kevin caught initially on hard pellet shallow - hook length depth at 17 metres and later in the margin with the same bait.

Bela and I agreed that we had a great day out with the fishing much improved since my last visit – we will no doubt be back. I thoroughly enjoyed the day – another one to remember. Home in ten minutes - well nearly!!

Full Result:

  1. Kevin Jefferies 103-0-0 peg 24
  2. Steve Dawson 73-14-0 peg 10
  3. John Clark 59-10-0 peg 36
  4. Bela Bakos 57-10-0 peg 8
  5. Mike Nicholls 52-10-0 peg 6
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 22-10-0 peg 6 
  2. Trev Bakos 11lb 10oz peg 8 (another hour and I would have beat the old boy – Umm)

No comments: