Sunday 6 September 2015

Sunday 06/09/2105 - Ivy House Open - Match Lake and New Canal

After seeking solid evidence of the existence of a God for over 2000 years it's time to give up and have one global "Humanity Religion" - One religion no wars?

Bela picking me up this morning arriving early so found Bela sat in the van with all gear packed – excellent.

After a venue breakfast it was into the draw tin and out comes ball peg 7NC on the New Canal. I was reasonably happy with the peg because the peg is the narrowest on the Canal, some 12 metres to the far bank. Getting the gear unpacked the rare cry of “Miss Draw” sometimes welcome and other times not. Back in the queue and this time ball with 18 on it comes out. Bela came back to the van also with peg 18 written on his hand (getting senile – thought it wasn’t catching)! Another miss draw - not he was on 18 NC - twat!

All the Intel from the regulars was that my peg was Carp down to the pallet on peg 19. The conditions for fishing was totally alien for catching fish of any kind with a cold near frost followed by clear blue skies and flat calm water.

I set up a 4x16 jolly to fish at 10 metres with semi-hard 4’s over micro, A 0.15 PC paste float fro down to the first leg of peg 19. And finally the Ronnie rig on the top-set.

On the whistle I fed the 10 metre line with a few micros. The margin pallet peg with a big pot of micro and maggot, simultaneously I started to loose feed caster on the Ronnie line.

Starting on the semi-hards I had a short run of skimmer until it was disrupted buy a foul hooked Carp. I just couldn’t revive the peg after this so went on the Ronnie rig. After a few Ronnie’s I re-fed the margin Pallet swim and just as I rotated the cup I saw a blow – too late I fed over the top. I decided to leave the swim in any case to later.

I tried again to revive the 10 metre line to no avail. However, the earlier blow on the margin line gave me confidence I would catch some Carp later. I carried on with the Ronnie’s, but because of the flat clam bright conditions I couldn’t keep them coming regularly. Half way now and I noticed some small Ronnie’s jumping put of the margin line so I went in with the paste and foul hooked a Carp. No matter plenty left!! Even though I kept feeding the margin with various baits – GB, Maggot, hard 4’s and micros I couldn’t nail the Carp even though I knew the blighters were in the margin. This was a real distraction from the Silvers and I unfortunately soon fell between two stools, not focusing on either the Carp or Silvers with the obvious outcome.

I didn’t land any Carp so only weighed Silvers which went 15lb 10oz. After the all out I tried the paste down to the margin pallet again and had a Carp immediately – bugger. This proved for me that it wasn’t the hook bait why I didn’t catch Carp during normal time.

And for peg 7NC this was left Chris Davis who DNW’ed.

The match was won by Tony Rixon (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 62lb 3oz from peg 3. See his blog for the details. However, I thought at one stage during the match I saw his fishing short for Ronnie’s – surely not!!

The Silvers was won by Alan Parsons with 26lb 6oz from peg 2. Alan caught mainly Roach on caster over caster on his top-set plus one.

Bela did well again winning the New Canal from peg 18 with 42lb 12oz sounds as if Bela had enough fish on the hook to win the match.

Full Result;

  1. Tony Rixon 62-03-0 peg 3
  2. Mike Etheridge 51-10-0 peg 20
  3. Red 48-12-0 peg 12
  4. Bela Bakos 42-14-0 peg 18 NC
  5. Joe Thompson 42-08-0 peg 14
  6. Craig Edmonds 40-14-0 peg 12
Top Silvers:

  1. Alan Parson 26-06-0 peg 2
  2. John Cambridge 22-04-0 peg 11
Weigh Sheets:


















No comments: