Thursday 27 August 2015

Thursday 27/08/2015 - Harescombe Fishery - Cost Cutter - Open - Match Lake

A new venue for me today, Harescombe Fishery which is locate just off Junction 12 on the M5 so not far for me to travel, a bit further for driving travelling partner Tony Rixon. We met Ray Cooper at Junction 1 on the M32 who followed us to the venue – not sure about Tony’s Sat-Nav – bit of a bitch. Its amazing how drivers their complete sense of direction although it might be age related.

I really get exited fishing new venues even though it was a cost cutter with 16 fishing; I put just as much efforts in to the match as I am sure it’s the same for all the other competitors.

We finally arrived at the fishery in plenty of time to have breakfast which was very acceptable and a walk part way around Match Lake, we couldn’t walk all around due to a land slip. Back to the draw and almost last in to the draw bag and out comes aluminium disk with 30 stamped on it, near side end corner peg. As usually happens with travelling partners they draw next to each other so wasn’t surprised when Ray Cooper drove to next peg 29 (Lake pictured right with Rays peg out of shot to the left).

Arriving at the peg and because it was a bright clear day I had a wonderful view if the Malvern Hills in the far distance which got obliterated from time to time by heavy rain storms. Looking at the peg I didn’t really fancy fishing to my right as compared with other swims I could see it looked baron of fish.

I set up three rigs – The usual Ronnie rig but didn’t really expect to use it because the rules are that every fish has to be netted. A 4x12 Jolly to fish at 5 metres into 5 foot of water at 10 o clock and finally a 4x8 Drennan wire stem Chop for the margins in 30 inches. I started by feeding a small pot of micro with a dash of hard 4’s at 5 metres, starting with a semi-hard 4 pellet on the hook I was soon into small Carp to 3lb. I started to loose feed a few hard 4’s over the top which brought a few F1’s to the net I then lost them so re-potted a similar amount and switched to 6mm meat on the hook again loose feeding pellet over the top this feeding pattern kept the Small Carp and F1’s coming with the meat being more productive missing less bites. I started to loose feed the LH margin at a distance of the top one. At halfway through the match I decided to try the margin with meat on the hook and had a nice half hour catching 11 Barbel to 1lb and a 1lb Chub. I abandoned the 5 metre line in favour of the margin as I started to catch F1’s to 2lb. I caught steady to the end. It was strange fishing just the five hours as I was still catching when the all out was called so wanted more (some of my fish pictured upper right).

I weighed 69lb 9oz for third overall which consisted of eleven different species of Silver Fish in addition to F1’s and Carp. A really great days fishing with loads of bites, with plenty missed!

The match was won by Andy T (pictured right still packing up) with 109lb 10oz from peg 23. Andy caught on pellet using the Rattler method shaking hard 4’s over the top from a kinder pot. The Rattler relies on the fish hooking themselves pulling the elastic out making the float superfluous.

I really enjoyed fishing this well stocked mixed fishery I can’t wait to get back.

Full Result:

  1. Andy T 109-10-0 peg 23
  2. Terry Gridlestone 86-05-0 peg 7
  3. Mike Nicholls 69-09-0 peg 30
  4. Tony Rixon 67-10-0 peg 17
  5. Ray Cooper 61-11-0 peg 29
  6. Steve Brown 43-07-0 peg 13
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: