Tuesday 28 July 2015

Tuesday 28/07/2015 - Acorn Fishery Cost Cutter - Paddocks

My turn to drive so thought I would park well away from Glenn “Two Pots” Bailey lawn in case I ran over it again. Glenn had with him something called a method feeder which I tried to stop him putting in my car – it’s a bloody Canal!!

This was my second visit of 2015 to Acorn. Most fisheries have been fishing hard and strange especially now we have changed from hot to cold weather with one months rain in one day and we have now had two days of it.

After breakfast it was in to the draw bag and out comes ping pong ball 12. Excellent, I have always done well off the peg. After dropping of Glenn on bridge peg 33 it was a drive round to park directly behind the peg. I was a bit despondent to find that someone had once again cut the Sedge grass back and although I am sure they tried to collect all the grass there was plenty of residue left to swirl around in my peg with the wind driving it in and out of the peg all day. I really don’t see the need to cut the grass back so much.

I set up three rigs a 0.5 gram paste float for full depth at 5 metres at 2 o clock, a 0.3 gram paste rig for the RH margin to fish on the top set down the second shelf, finally a 4x12 Jolly for caster and or maggot.

I started by potting in half a pot of a mix of micros and 4’s on the full depth rig and started to lightly loose feed the RH margin with caster. Starting on the paste at full depth I had a liner first dop-in. In again and I had small 3lb Carp. First mistake I fed some more pellet and that was it except for a swirl on the surface.

I then tried double caster and did have one quick bite which I missed. Second mistake loose fed some more casters and that was it. I then put the paste over the caster and started to loose feed hard 4’s over the top. Nothing, I was now in struggling territory. I got 13 metres of pole out to fish the maggot down the margin to the new Willow tree. With double maggot on the Jolly I did have a 1 ½ lb F1. However, because of the floating sedge grass I couldn’t keep the rig in for long enough with it being dragged around by the grass and wind.

I went for a walk around the venue and most anglers were struggling including Two Pots – bloody weather.

Returning to the peg I packed away the pole as I decided to fish the match out on the top set and paste fished over hard 4’s with the anticipation the Carp would arrive in time for me to bag up. That didn’t happen adding one more F1 which was 2 ½ lb and six more Carp by fishing both up and down the margin shelfs. For me it was a right struggle.

My F1’s weighed 4lb for second pick-up in the F1 pool and my Carp went 19lb for a miserable total of 23lb.

The match was won Giles Cochran (pictured right with some of his catch) with 88lb 4oz from peg 5. Giles initially caught on the method feeder over the far bank loose feeding pellet over the top. He then switched down his LH margin down the second shelf in 3 ½ foot of water fishing caster hook bait over kindered caster. Giles later moved up the margin catching some better fish again on caster over kindered caster.

Barry Fitchew came a close second catching in a similar fashion to Giles.

The F1 pool was won by match organiser Mike Chapman (pictured right cooking the books) with 6lb from peg 14, all caught on maggot from both his margins.

Glenn also had a bad day, but not all was lost as we stopped in Frenchay for an Indian – scrummy.

Full Result:

  1. Giles Cochran 88-04-0 peg 5
  2. Barry Fitchew 79-0-0 peg 15
  3. Mike Chapman 57-08-0 peg 13
  4. Dave Wride 51-13-0 peg 14
  5. Mike Owens 45-09-0 peg 26
  6. Keith Ray 41-12-0 peg 24
Top F1’s:

  1. Mike Chapman 6-0-8 peg 13
  2. Mike Nicholls 4-0-0 peg 12
Weigh Sheets:

















No comments: