Thursday 30 July 2015

Thursday 30/07/2015 - Tony Rixon's Float Only Practice Match - Sedges - Brick Lake

Two Pots driving today toTony Rixon’s Float only Practice match at Sedges. We stopped at Hill Tops CafĂ© where we were joined by One Chew and seven others fishing today’s match.

On arrival I noticed some anglers fishing on Tile which I thought was the Lake we were fishing. Not being an internet Socialite (also known as Ass Book) I apparently miss the information that in fact we were on Brick Lake. I was a tad disappointed as I didn’t bring any GB.

Eighteen fishing today so two empty pegs.

After the usual warm welcome from Denise and Jamie it was in to the draw box and out comes peg 20 which is in the near far corner (if that makes sense). It’s a strange peg in that it has won the occasional match, but is often a phantom peg. Nonetheless with the wind blowing in to our bank at 1 0 clock I thought Carp would make a show today at some time of the day on the paste.

Two Pots had draw peg 11 the end peg at the other end of my bank. Big Pot had drawn opposite on peg 10 – the paste-end.

I set up just the two rigs – a 0.3 gram paste rig to be fished at 10 metres to the end bank in ever sloping bottom set at 3 foot where I could hold bottom. Next was a 4x16 Jolly for worm hook baits fished over caster, micro and chopped worm feed. I plumbed at various distances from the bank, but because the float was towing with the wind I settled on fishing it short at 5 metres in 8 foot of water. The wind was forecast to be light, got that wrong I was feeling quite cold whilst Big Pot sat shirtless on peg 10.

I fed the end margin with a big pot of hard 4’s followed by a big pot of CWM&C at 5 metrres. Starting on the worm I had a small Skimmer first put in followed by a Ronnie and another tiny Skimmer. I then couldn’t get a bite I was reluctant to re-feed as I had put a fair amount of bait in. On to the paste only to find the Ronnie Nibblers lined up in force. I tried the worm line again to no avail. I spent the rest of the first half on the match trying to avoid the nibblers now feeding hard 4’s through the catty to feed them out and Carp in. It didn’t work.

I set up the Ronnie rig (if you can’t beat them join them) to fish caster over loose fed caster. I caught Ronnie’s and small Skimmers too steady, with nothing over 4oz to make any impact at this stage of the match. I kept trying the paste in to the end bank hoping the Ronnie’s had buggered off – not.

I did have a bit of welcome distraction photographing one of Alan Oram’s Eels (one of my favourite Silvers) must have gone 2lb plus (it’s head pictured upper right - hard to catch and even harder to photograph )

I finished the match with 13lb 3oz for 5th in the Silvers. If I had fished for the Ronnie’s from the off I think I would have won the Silvers, but who is going to do that in such a peg without considerable hind sight!

The match was won by Glen “Two Pots” Bailey (pictured right with some of his catch) with 122lb 6oz from peg 11. Two pots converted to one pot today only feeding one pint of softened fours with his paste. Glenn fished a comfortable 13 metres landing 19 Carp. More money coming home in the car.

The Silvers was won by Alan Oram (pictured right with the match winner) with 21lb 4oz from peg 19. Alan caught on worm over GB laced with a smidgen of chopped worn]m and caster.

Full Result:

  1. Glenn Bailey 122-06-0 peg 11
  2. Steve Jackson 93-0-0 peg 7
  3. Tom Mangnall 83-04-0 peg 1
  4. Gary Flinders 62-09-0 peg 14
  5. Dave Bacon 58-01-0 peg 18
  6. Tony Rixon 53-02-0 peg 8
Top Silvers:

  1. Alan Oram  21-04-0 peg 19
  2. Steve Tucker 20-10-0 peg 16
Weigh Sheet:



No comments: