Sunday 19 July 2015

Sunday 19/07/2015 - Tony Rixon's Float Only - Round Four - Ivy House - New Canal and Match Lakes

Bela arrived early so we didn’t have to queue for breakfast, however, we weren’t first, four before us, but we didn’t wait long. After breakfast I had a walk around the Match Lake because it’s split into two and re-pegged (see pegging map right). I also had a walk along the New Canal (NC) and fancied end peg 18 as there were plenty of fish showing. Plenty of pretty wild flowers about too (pictured lower right).

Tony pegged: Three sections of five on each Lake and two sections of five on the New Canal.

Earlier in the week rain was forecast again for today, luckily a complete change with the weather improving throughout the day. Good news for the anglers that work all week and for the last few weeks had to sit in the pouring rain.

Second into the coffee tin and out comes peg 35, yippee a Skimmers peg – forgetting it had been re-pegged – on old peg 13 it was then - again! This is a strange peg with plenty of uncatchable Carp, which had to be my target because I was still in the knock out, this time drawn against the “Quite Man” – Gordon Cannings who had drawn peg 6.

Once again my peg was afforded plenty of room! I set up two paste rigs – a 0.5 gram to be fished at 5 metres in five foot of water and more or less at the bottom of the shelf the other for the RH margin in 30 inches of water on the top two. Then I set up a 4x16 Jolly to be fished again at 5 metres but with semi-hard 4’s. Finally the Ronnie rig if all failed.

I started by feeding the margin with micro and dead red maggot. Then half a pot of micro and hard 4’s at 5 metres where I was to start the match with paste. First put in I had a 5lb Common Carp (similar start to last time I was on this peg), that was it the Ronnie’s moved in scrapping with the paste. So I switched to the Jolly and semi-hard 4’s, and had a Ronnie and a couple of small Skimmers (same as last time). This was soon abandoned because it was too slow for such small fish. I tried the margin and found lots of nibblers waiting for the paste. I decided to feed the margin heavy in the hope that some Carp would have a “Happy Hour”. Time to have a go with the Ronnie rig with caster where I found I could catch them one a bung, but were 2oz peas in a pod. Not going to win anything with these. I kept trying the margin and the paste line only to encourage more nibbling Ronnie’s.  The writing was on the wall so I decided to stay with the Ronnie rig until I saw some signs in the margin which I kept feeding with Micro and dead reds throughout. I did have a couple of bonus Skimmers and one Tench on the caster in between catching a 2oz Ronnie’s. No sign of Carp in the margin so loads of bait wasted. That was until 5 minutes after the whistle when the margin clouded up, so I stuck on some past and had a Carp straight away which came off – but wouldn’t have counted anyway.

My lonely Carp weighed 4lb 8oz and my Ronnie’s 20lb 7oz for a total of 24lb 15oz for a section second but more importantly knocked well and truly out my the Quite Man – well done Gord.


The match was won by Chris “Shipp” Davis (pictured above centre with a couple of doubles) with an amazing 317lb 11oz from peg 11. Chris caught at 13 metres up to his new end bank using hair rigged 8’s fished over loose fed 6’s. Credit where credit is due - Chris fished a steady match catching regularly through out and only breaking one top-set!! Well done matey could have gone home after the first hour.

The Silvers was won by Steve Tucker from New Canal (NC) peg 10 “The Wides”, with 45lb 12oz. Steve caught at 14.5 metres using either soft pellet or pieces of worm hook bait fished over potted worm and micro.

Bela was came second overall with 81lb 14oz only 236 lb behind the winner!! Still we were able to celebrate once again in Bar-gar-age. Fished a good-un today matey.

The New Canal fished much better than forecast.

Full Result:

  1. Chris Davis 317-11-0 peg 11
  2. Bela Bakos 81-14-0 peg 39
  3. Dick Bull 67-11-0 peg 20
  4. Steve Tucker 61-04-0 peg NC10
  5. Craig Edmonds 55-14-0 peg 4
  6. Martyn Lenaghan 51-08-0 peg 14
 Top Silvers:

  1. Steve Tucker 45-12-0 peg NC10
  2. Leon Hubbard 40-01-0 peg 17
  3. Clint Wojtyle 26-05-0 peg 37
Weigh Sheets:










No comments: