Sunday 12 July 2015

Sunday 12/07/2015 - Tony Rixon Short Pole League - Round Three - Chiltern Trinity - Woodands - Match Lake

First stop Hill Tops Café. Two Chews went for the Belly Buster which should be renamed because Bela didn’t feel sick afterwards. We were joined in the café by One Chew and Two Pots. I have been impressed this year by the wild flora and fauna that surrounds us. I am not sure of its name but I photographed the wild flower (pictured right) outside the café (not domestic Lupine, I think), but really wonderful.

We arrived an hour before the draw but didn’t go for a walk because of the rain. Sunburn yesterday soaking today!!

In to the coffee tin and out comes peg 31. Just to the left of the bridge, short walk then. The shortest walk was for Vic Bush on next peg 30. I was happy with the draw because I had an empty peg to my left – valuable in this league. This is where I was to concentrate most of my match. To the right were some tree roots which I tried to clear with limited success. These Bankside tree are the cause of the significant bank side erosion, they need removing.

With me currently leading the series and still in the knock out drawn today against Paul Elms for the second consecutive week who was in my section on peg 3 but on a lesser peg than mine, so I had to focus on the Carp and forget the Silvers completely. So I set up a 0.4 gram paste rig for the LH margin plus a 4x12 Jolly for … didn’t get used.

Just before it was time to put out the keep nets in I spied a Carp swimming along the LH margin so considered not putting the nets in at the start, but instead decided to slide them in quietly. So started on the paste without feed to try and fetch it out, which happened and a 6lb Common in the net before many had fed!!

I noticed Bela on opposite peg 11 sporting his new Sensas Carp Pole tussling with a Carp under his platform (pictured upper right), luckily the pole was up to the Carp and Bela sausage fingers

It wasn’t going to be that easy for the rest of the match. I soon discovered that the customary loose feeding hard 4’s wasn’t working. After feeding and putting the paste in, the Carp would bow-wave out leaving me frustrated that these fish were never to return (probably not). I switched to kindering hard 4’s for only the same to happen – more bow-waving. A quiet approach need perhaps. So I soaked up some micro and slid them quietly in – no bow waves it wasn’t long before I had a 7lb Carp in the net quickly followed by another. The feeding wasn’t easy to understand but by sneaking in the micro I kept the Carp coming in pairs. However, there were long periods without Carp, but I did have a spree in the last forty minutes adding four quick Carp to my Eleven with a cry of “Fish On” at the whistle.
 
My fifteen Carp weighed in at 108lb 8oz (pictured above right) and my few accidental Silvers weighing a shameful 1lb 8oz, for a total match winning weight of 110lb 2oz.

The Silvers was by matey Vic Bush (pictured right with his net of Skimmers) on next peg 30 with 23lb 9oz. Vic caught on his favoured hook bait of worm fished over Gimps Gold laced with CW&C. Likewise Vic found it unobvious how to feed, but following two Skimmers Vic would then re-feed a ball varying the sizes. It wasn’t easy today. Vic fed about two pints of caster and ¾ kilo of worm.

Full Result:




















Weigh Sheets:




















No comments: